Clay Bar Composition

Justwondering

Reaction score
I was going to buy a clay bar for cleaning grime from the car exterior until I saw the price at the local Oreilly's.

There's no info on the box about what type of clay is used.

My question:
What type of clay is in the clay bars sold in the car care area?
Bentonite Kaolin ??

Aspen500

Reaction score
No idea. Not sure if it's really any kind of natural clay at all but do know it's made specifically for cleaning paint. Also works really good on glass and other non-porous surfaces.

Be careful, there's different qualities of clay bar. The cheap ones can do more harm than good and you need to use a good quick detailer product for lubricating the surface. It will do amazing things and surprising how dirty seemingly spotless paint can be.
Price is a factor but as with most things, you get what you pay for.
I use only this one along with Speed Shine, ESPECIALLY on the Aspen.
Paint Cleaning Clay Kit - Surface Prep - Polish & Wax - Griot's Garage

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I think this is more like Plasticine (one type of which is Play-Do), vs. earthen clay (lick used to make flower pots). I used it for the first time last week. I bought two bars of it (180 Grams each), 3M brand (type 38070, from memory)on eBay. The two bars were $US11.50, free shipping from Korea. There is a YouTube video of a guy using it, and it seemed to work fine. I used Chemical Guys' Luber product (made specifically for use with clay bars) as a lubricant vs. the quick detailer type products (about half the price of Meguiar's Quick Detailer) from a local detailers's supply place. I know that the 3M products are used by body shops all the time, so I felt pretty confident in it.

I think it is a synthetic, chemical product, not a natural one. I don't know what abrasives are used, but even in the 3M clay that I used, rated as a medium, its a pretty fine abrasive.

I used about a third of the bar and followed everybody's instructions on how to use it (knead it into a ball, then after it starts to soften due to body heat, form into a patty shape big enough to cover your four fingers). Then spray the lubricant onto the car surface and rub away. I probably used more lubricant that I should have, due to not being familiar with the use of the clay bar, and thereby being very cautious.

Justwondering

Reaction score
'Clay' being a marketing term rather than a descriptive term.

Going to have to try it myself soon. The redbirds keep pooping on the side of the vehicles trying to attack the bird in the side mirrors. Funny to watch, but a pain to clean.

I have shopping bags on all the cars now. Very redneck. But it keeps the bird away unless the bag pulls off (coons) or is forgotten when we return from a trip.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Realize the clay bar is not a cleaner, but a finish restorer. For grime, tar, and other stubborn stuff- use a liquid soft scrub type and a fine sponge or micro- fiber cloth. Clay bar removes finish. So if you have no clearcoat or weak finish, you will cause more damage. Go slow and once you get it clean, then polish and wax and then re wax. A good wax coat will keep crud from sticking

Back