slant6billy

Reaction score
I couldn't believe how much it was. My other fans were not so heavy

slant6billy

Reaction score
Light weight water pump (low drag), lighter alt.... diet time

slant6billy

Reaction score
As I dive into this, I realize front engine accessories are able to hinder performance. The fact that drive wheels are separated by trans and driveline components, there is a difference to front engine stuff. Like leverage on the end of a breakerbar. You add a longer piece of pipe. So the theory of heavy front components ( Alternator, water pump, power steering pump , the other stuff like AC and in efficient pulleys, will put unwanted load on the engine directly. That is, the parasitic absorption of power at the heart of the engine. The weight of these components alone are like leverage working against the rpm range power band. Hurting acceleration, engine response and other drive performance. Just last month, putting the electric fan on my Volare put lowend back in the ammo box. This may be all bullshit, but I am on a roll (with butter).

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying about parasitic loss.
It's a proven fact. Even in the heat of summer I won't put the A/C on in the Fifth. As soon as I do I feel the power drop. I only put it in if my wife is with me. I'd rather melt than lose the juice.
Now that she's got the scamry I'm dumping it and putting on an idler pulley instead. That alone will save me what? 80 freakin pounds.

I hear where you're coming from man.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Does this remove enough weight to increase your mpg? Lighter fan, lose the compressor, swap from steel to aluminum rims, etc. Or is this targeted to increase speed/responsiveness?

This seems like the way Dusters and Feather Dusters tried to overcome the reduction in performance due to the 'recent (in the 70s)' requirement of 5 mph bumpers and catalytic converters.

Aspen500

Reaction score
An 80-100 pound weight reduction probably wouldn't be noticed at all in the mpg department. However, lighter alloy wheel would have some effect on mpg in city driving (probably less than 1/2 mpg though). Less mass to get rolling and it will improve stopping distance a little because less rotational mass to slow down again. Analogy is like trying to accelerate and then stop a 100 lb flywheel vs doing the same to a 25 lb flywheel, although not quite to that extreme. Two vehicles with the same engine but one weighing 500 lbs less will get better city mpg but on the freeway they'd be pretty much equal. Getting the mass moving is where the fuel is used.

See, I did pay at least a little attention in high school physics class, lol!

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
It's a proven fact. Even in the heat of summer I won't put the A/C on in the Fifth. As soon as I do I feel the power drop.QUOTE]

My 79 slant with A/C must suck at least 15hp from a 110hp motor.
I have a in dash 'turbo boost' system.
Want to pass a car with the A/C on?
Get on the gas, pull to the bumper, hit the 'vent' button and instant extra 'turbo boost' horsepower.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Drives an Aspen and speaks physics ... a unique and rare combination.. :eusa_dance:

It's a proven fact. Even in the heat of summer I won't put the A/C on in the Fifth. As soon as I do I feel the power drop.QUOTE]

My 79 slant with A/C must suck at least 15hp from a 110hp motor.
I have a in dash 'turbo boost' system.
Want to pass a car with the A/C on?
Get on the gas, pull to the bumper, hit the 'vent' button and instant extra 'turbo boost' horsepower.

LMFAO!

X2!!!

slant6billy

Reaction score
Another example I think you could try is take a bucket like a 2 gallon size and fill it with water. Take a can of soda. Obvious weight difference. Dump some water out until the bucket is easier to move around, carry and manage. The bucket's handle and ability to disperse weight make it easier to hold than the soda and more fluid too. My point: you can't survive on that little soda, but you have to get as close as possible to move less weight (drag) on your engine. You can lift the soda much quicker. With the bucket, you have to dump off some excess water first

Aspen500

Reaction score
One push of the button, almost 20% HP gain just like that.

Don't notice the A/C drag at all on my Aspen but the daily driver '96 Dakota with it's neck snapping 175hp/225ft lb V-6 it's like you said, either hit the A/C button to turn it off or go past 80% throttle opening and it shuts itself off. Like hitting a nitrous button! lol

Both are R134a with it's higher pressure (than R12) but losing 20hp from 500 (a guess) is a lot different than losing 20hp from 175.

Back