Convert from Power brakes to Manual

wvdodgemirada

Reaction score
As title states, in the spring I'm looking to go from power brakes to manual on my 1981 Dodge Mirada. Looking to see if anyone on here has done this, and looking for some information. Will a 70's manual master cylinder and rod work? or what rod and master cylinder did you use? Thank you.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You will need the manual brake firewall plate (for a '79-80 Aspen), along with the master cylinder pushrod, and then use a master for a manual brake '79-'80 Aspen or Volare . You'll also need to rejigger the master to combination valve lines because the master will be in a different location. If the firewall on a Mirada is different, the plate may need to be modified. I didn't actually change from power to manual, the car was built that way so hope I'm not wrong about what I wrote on the conversion:eek:

Napa has a reman unit shown (without reservoir) for $68, but also has a NEW one with reservoir for $38, go figure. The new one APPEARS to be for manual brakes but it doesn't specify.

For reference. The car will stop fine with manual brakes but fast stops require pretty good leg grunt :D

How the setup looks on my '79 Aspen:

DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG

Last edited:

SRTMirada

Reaction score
A 1980 Mirada will have a keyhole in the firewall to accommodate manual brakes. In 1981 the hole was made round and will have to be elongated. I recommend an adjustable pushrod from Mopar Performance.

wvdodgemirada

Reaction score
Was going to buy parts very soon, and wanted to make sure I buy the correct ones the first time. So it seems to me that others have used f-body plate and rod?

Back