Cooling the 512

Mirada512

Reaction score
Hello everyone, cooling question for y’all. I am building a big block for my Mirada. I am looking for an aluminum radiator to handle the cooling for it. The radiator has to have passenger lower radiator hose. Is there a radiator that you guys have used or is this a custom piece I’ll have to order? Thanks for any information!

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm using a three row 26" Champion universal fit. It's been discontinued though. They should have something that fits. Cools my 512 no problem. If the fans are left on high it goes all the way down to the stat, 160 degrees.

Mirada512

Reaction score
I'm using a three row 26" Champion universal fit. It's been discontinued though. They should have something that fits. Cools my 512 no problem. If the fans are left on high it goes all the way down to the stat, 160 degrees.
No kidding, I’m going to look browse their website and take a peek. Are you using a pusher or puller fan on yours?

Duke5A

Reaction score
CH374 I think was the old part number for the radiator. I'm using dual puller pans from a late 90's V6 Ford Contour. Two speed with the resistor in the shroud controlled by my Holley fuel injection. I ran with the passenger lower radiator hose for a couple of years using the 440 Source pump housing, but it made for a total pain in the ass to see the timing marks. Ended up going to a driver side lower hose and paid a local radiator shop to move the lower fitting on the radiator. Only cost me $60 to have done.

Oh, and go to a hardware store and get a 90 degree adapter to make the drain valve downward facing. You'll thank me later.

20140606_212640.jpg

20140614_132202.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've got the 440 Source pass. side outlet pump housing and put a TDC mark on the inlet tube, then used an adjustable timing light. Not ideal but it works. Better than before with a hose running across the car above the t-bars (JMO).

Duke5A

Reaction score
I've got the 440 Source pass. side outlet pump housing and put a TDC mark on the inlet tube, then used an adjustable timing light. Not ideal but it works. Better than before with a hose running across the car above the t-bars (JMO).
I did this while the motor had a carb on it, but it was never precise. When I went to computer controlled timing I decided to change it. Had the radiator modified to avoid the messy extended lower hose setup.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Some more photos. These are older and before I moved the lower hose to the driver side.

IMG_0068.jpg
20171015_122223.jpg

Back