Cordoba Engines

joemac1j

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what engines were available in the 1980 Cordoba? How can you tell the difference between a 318 and 360 if the engine is still in the car. Was there a "B" engine available.
I have found a 440 and trans out of a motor home. Is this a good engine to put into my 80? Its only $500.00 for the complete motor home that can be started. Has 43,000 miles on it.
Thank you for your time.
joemac1j

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There was NO factory big block cars for the J bodies (Cordoba/Mirada). There should be codes on front of the engine somewhere, the other members can tell you exactly.

Enignes were a slant 6, 318 2 or 4 BBL/V, and a 360 4BBL/V. I think the 360 was only available on the Mirada CMX, and maybe the Cordoba LS, but not sure about that.

There are people who have put 440s into the J bodies. You can get conversion engine mounts from Schumacher. Fits is tight, but big block does fit. you may need to get a K car power brake booster, and you will want to make sure your radiator is in good shape. You don't even really need to change out the torsion bars, but may need to tweak the ride height, as the big blocks are 200-250 lbs heavier than the small blocks.

There are a few articles from the past that have described this very conversion.

Kostas

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm a bit foggy on it but I believe the rv version of the 440 was tuned for torque....not the same animal as a street 440.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Not certain if there is a different head on the RVs, but if not, a cam change should do what is required to spark up the RV 440.

In any case, the torque from the RV 440 should push a J body around nicely.

Kostas

Slodoba

Reaction score
The 360 was an option in the 80 Córdoba LS and base as well. I remember seeing a factory Córdoba in the 80s with a 360.Very Very rare.

Back