Correcting my inherited Edelbrock 1406 setup...

69-

Reaction score
My LeBaron was running with a much to high idle, approx. 1150rpm. Today I had the chance to get it corrected, here's what happened, if anyone stumbles upon such / similar problems.

The original TQ was -according to the last owner- "undriveable". So he decided to get it replaced with a 1406. Unfortunately, his shop was not really up to speed on Mopars and not on such conversions and caveats.

Main problem was, that they connected a violett wire to the E-choke. But the correct connection of the E-choke is to the resistor-switch (between ignition coil and fuel line in my picture). At least, that's the connection to the heat-assist on the TQ choke. I'll try that, if it doesn't work properly, I'll connect it to the 12V side of that resistor-switch.

Because the E-choke of the 1406 was non-operational, the engine never got out of fast idle. After connecting it (for testing purpose) directly to 12V, it took a little time and it got out of fast idle and I could set the carb to a good vacuum (17 inHg, rock steady) and 850rpm in N. Much better now.

The throttle position transducer of the TQ and the idle-switch are not connected to the ignition computer. Neither is the bowl vent actuator.
As far, as I understand, the idle-switch may be of use for AC cars, to improve ignition if AC is on. I don't have AC, so, I'll leave that one open. The computer will think that I'm never idling :). Hints on other operational needs are very welcome.

The throttle position transducer gives two inputs to the computer: position and speed of position change. Thanks to BudW I learned that from another thread.
I have the original TQ with that transducer, but it only shows approx. 71 ohms (between both connetors) - no change no matter what position or speed of position change. Would be great to get to know the proper readings of this transducer to wire the input to the computer with something in that range (even though not changing).

_IMG_20210313_175426.jpg

Back