Crazy Seatbelt Interchange Question

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
mvc-4263827s_medium.jpg

1976-1983 Truck Shoulder Seat Belt and Retractor​

NOS MoPar # 4263827

What are the chances that these truck seat belts can be made to work for the front seat belts on a Diplomat? I'm ripping out all the dry rotted sun baked Arizona trash and putting a green interior in. Problem is I can't find green seat belts anywhere and custom ordering a set might put me in jam as I'm planning to road trip the car in a couple months. I figure black is good enough for now and I've found lots of these NOS truck ones all over the internet.

Edit: I did try arizonaparts.com first and I couldn't find anything, in case anyone is wondering

Last edited:

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Looks like these won't work. The M body seat belts are backwards from everything else I can find. Looks like I'm SOL for seat belts

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yeah it is looking that way. The other crackhead idea I had was to use seatbelts out of a Ram pickup part number 5KS941DVAA because they look "backwards" like the M body belts. The issue would be the unknown, to me at least, thread size on the mounting bracket s-l1600 (24).jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the cost for rewebbing but it's less than one ambulance ride to the ER, or worse, the back of the ME's van..... Always hope you'll never put seatbelts to the test of course. If you do, sure want them to work!

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Exactly. I don't trust 35 year old desert baked seat belts. I'm just trying to find a reasonable alternative. Some Dodge pickup and Lincoln Town Car seat belts are "backwards" like the M body belts. Anything is better than the trash that's in there now. My thought was that any factory belt that lines up is better than the generic aftermarket belts

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Anyone with a parts interchange know what car F578 ME8 seat belts go to? They look right, but I don't want to act on looks.

Autostocks

Reaction score
I had my front belts redone by a place called Safety Restore. It was an incredibly fast turnaround. IIRC, about $100 per belt. Mine were black but I believe you can request any color.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. This looks like a "down the rabbit hole" kind of project if I get all the seat belts redone front and back. I've got the interior all in pieces (except the dash) and spending probably way too much time debating what kind of green I should paint the plastic trim.

Back