cruise control delete

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to remove the cruise control out of our cars? I was considering doing it on the Doba. I know there's the lines that come from the trans to the speedo that connect to the unit. Is there a shorter or longer speedo cable to replace it with or a way to bypass the control unit? Also is there a different turn signal stalk for the column? Let me know.
Thanks,
Cam W.

Aspen500

Reaction score
All you need is a new cable for cars w/o cruise control. The only thing different on the column is the signal lever itself (and the wiring to the cruise switch).
More Information for PIONEER CA3030

CA-3030__ra_p.jpg

Here's the link to Aspen and Volare dealing with the same subject:
Cruise Control

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I new a guy 15 years ago that used the stock controller to operate an aftermarket cruise control. From what a remember is it wasn't difficult.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Yes cam, push in then pull back the speedo cable. Im very practiced in doing that after repairing my dash lights several times. You might find it helpful to lift the clip up with a small screwdriver or tough thumb nail before pulling the cable back.

Gadsden

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to remove the cruise control out of our cars? I was considering doing it on the Doba. I know there's the lines that come from the trans to the speedo that connect to the unit. Is there a shorter or longer speedo cable to replace it with or a way to bypass the control unit? Also is there a different turn signal stalk for the column? Let me know.
Thanks,
Cam W.

I have an 80 model 318 Mirada and am interested in adding cruise to it, are your cruise parts good? and would you be interested in selling / trade ?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have installed cruise control on a lot of new cars (new car dealer add-on’s), when I worked for a dealership.
It is easier to ‘remove cruise” than to “add cruise”, but both can be done with simple hand tools and the correct parts.

The stop light switch, cruise switch and wiring harness can be left in place (if removing cruise) – if wanted.

Keeping all parts together can be a selling point - maybe

I’m going to make a new thread on adding cruise control, for you Gadsden (and others), so keep an eye out in this section (and I don’t want to hijack this thread).

To replace the speedometer cable cable requires removal of the speedometer gear adaptor from transmission then unclipping the gear and cable. I HIGHLY recommend replacing the two O-ring seals when doing this for these seals are known to leak (and you are already there).

Matter of fact, if you plan on performing any future upgrades to car (engine, transmission, differential gears, etc.), this would be the PERFECT time to upgrade to the metal style screw on speedometer gear and adaptor, instead of the plastic clip on gear & adaptor – for more reasons than I can count (using both hands). The O-rings should be available from a Chrysler dealer or your local parts store (you will need both O-rings in hand for them to match up).

The Chrysler part numbers (or original style plastic clip-on speedo adaptor O-rings) are:
Big O-ring 4130829 (MSRP is $3.50 (US), as of 8/1/2018)
Small O-ring 4057046 – which got superseded to 4883434 (MSRP is $9.95 (US) as of 8/1/2018)
Note: part number 4883434 includes the big O-ring, small O-ring, and the seal for the metal adaptor – so this kit is all you need for either the plastic clip-on adaptor or the metal screw on adaptor.

Try to avoid pulling the speedometer adaptor out by pulling on the cable – if possible – for you can damage the cable and/or the adaptor.
BudW

Correction: I will be adding cruise install in the electrical section, not in the transmission section.

Back