curious about the CMX roof band.......

marko

Reaction score
ive just picked up an 81 t-top mirada.
it has the over the top roof band that i thought was a cmx only thing ?
was this something they also put on t-top cars ?
my car doesn't have the cmx code on the body tag and the side nameplates were removed when the car was repainted by a previous owner.
just wondering
tx mark

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The roof band was not CMX only. My base 1982 Mirada has one, and its just a regular top. On the other hand, my 1981 CMX has the fake convertible looking vinyl roof, and has no band.

Kostas

80mirada

Reaction score
the over the top band I believe became standard in 81. I have seen to Miradas that were identically optioned, one was a CMX and the other was not. The only difference was the color combination. Chrysler Corporate thought was to eliminate the rear drive cars shortly after the Mirada was introduced, so the option rules barely apply

marko

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.
that clears things up -
i have an 80 sales brochure and it says the over the top roof band was standard with the cmx package; i have an 81 sales brochure that i can't find so thats why i was getting confused
tx mark
20150512_155000-1.jpg

20150512_155000-1.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The CMX package changed from 1980 to 1981. In the 1980 Brochure, the "Up and Over Color Keyed Roof Accent Molding" is only shown as part of the CMX package. It isn't available as an option by itself. As I have written, the roof band was available on base cars in other years. I do know that the CMX came with the cabriolet roof as standard in 1981 on, which pretty muck precludes the roof band being standard during those years. I think form 1981 on, the roof band became a stand alone option, available on both base and CMX Miradas (depending on roof choices, of course).

Kostas

Last edited:

marko

Reaction score
i found my 81 mirada sales brochure today, it says the "color-keyed up-and-over roof band" was standard for 81, so obviously non cabrio roof cmx's would have it as well as the regular miradas.

mark

iScamp

Reaction score
Marko, since your question was answered, I hope you don't mind if I ask a question about those CMX tops on your thread. Since we are on that topic.
What is underneath those CMX faux convertible tops? Could that top be removed and just have a standard hardtop?
Is the C pillar glass still under those tops?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
In the past that has been discussed. From memory alone, there is a fiberglass sheet that the false convertible top is built on. The fiberglass panel is then glued to the metal roof skin. They have been known to blow completely off when travelling down the highway, if the glue at the front edge deteriorates enough to allow air to pass between the fiberglass skin and the metal roof panel. One of the other members removed a regular vinyl roof (i.e. not a false convertible top, just a vinyl roof (padded only)) off a Mirada in the past.

The glass is there, it is just covered up, both on the inside and outside. What is missing is the chrome window frame moldings on the outside of the window openings. If you can find that, there really shouldn't be any reason that you couldn't take the false onvertible top off.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but if you do remove the false convertible top of the CMX, is it still a CMX? The false convertible top is one of the few CMX specific features on those cars. And, even though our cars have yet to reach "high value collectible" status, will you be reducing the value of the car going forward? Do what you want, just wanted to bring those considerations forward.

Kostas

Last edited:

mirada80

Reaction score
There is a CMX locally here that the top was lifting and in poor condition, They pulled the top off, smoothed over the window fillers and painted the car, it looked pretty good, more of a hardtop look.

iScamp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Kostas. Are far as we know it's not a CMX car. It has other custom mods.
I am into preserving MOPARS. Custom mess, not so much.

Last edited:

iScamp

Reaction score
Not trying to give you a hard time, but if you do remove the false convertible top of the CMX, is it still a CMX? The false convertible top is one of the few CMX specific features on those cars. And, even though our cars have yet to reach "high value collectible" status, will you be reducing the value of the car going forward? Do what you want, just wanted to bring those considerations forward.

Kostas

Point well taken. They are only original, once.

dodger roger

Reaction score
c pillars

There is a CMX locally here that the top was lifting and in poor condition, They pulled the top off, smoothed over the window fillers and painted the car, it looked pretty good, more of a hardtop look.
mopar muscle did that with the moby doba project years ago they welded a plate on over the window i don't remember if they took the glass out

moreada

Reaction score
I have to ask... what goes at the intersection of the roof band on the top of the roof? I recall mine has a gap of about 1/2" and looks to be missing some type of cap. Does anyone have a photo of the top of their non t-top car?

moreada

Reaction score
Thank you for the photo. I have that same seam or whatever there. I seemed to have remembered it being a larger gap on mine, but was relieved to find mine looking much the same as the photo you posted when I pulled it out today. Much appreciated.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Even though the paint on the band itself looks black, it is supposed to be body color. I see no evidence of a provision of a clip to cover the joint after looking at it again, so I don't think there was ever one there.

Back