custom coupe ideas

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
as mentioned in the "lets see those m-bodies" thread, I'm getting a 81 lebaron coupe. well I've been looking at some of the japan lowriders (they're doin it big over there) and I came up with a couple more ideas

heres the coupe I'm getting
00D0D_32ZveL3B1Go_600x450_zps2c95c09f.jpg

00z0z_iwlwdrap4aA_600x450_zps2063e9d6.jpg

and the two previous renderings
coupeblue_zpsbce72548.jpg

coupeblue2_zps1f442668.jpg

now here's the other two ideas (so far) that im sure no one will like lol

#1, full length grill and split bumper, something I've been wanting to do to my buddies limo, already got an idea on how to do it on the coupe
hrk19z_zps7ef01698.jpg

#2, 77-79 mercury cougar trunk bulge (whatever you wanna call it) I think it would look better then the round Lincoln continental one as the car is square
2rmb9cz_zps60f04e1a.jpg

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
anyone ever take the vinyl off the roof of a lebaron coupe? theres slight rust bubblage under the vinyl, and woundering if theres a fiberglass piece over the rear window as it appears to be smaller then the dip coupes

alf44

Reaction score
i vote for the first rendering with the classic style 5 spoke wheels and shaved trim. looks a little more modern

NoCar340

Reaction score
anyone ever take the vinyl off the roof of a lebaron coupe? theres slight rust bubblage under the vinyl, and woundering if theres a fiberglass piece over the rear window as it appears to be smaller then the dip coupes
If it's a Medallion with the opera lamps and thinner quarter glass, there are sheetmetal plugs spot-welded into place for the smaller glass opening, and yes--the glass itself is smaller too.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
i vote for the first rendering with the classic style 5 spoke wheels and shaved trim. looks a little more modern
Im not one for modern looks, i like the old skool. The shaved trim look good on some vehicles,but not this
Probably why i like this rendering the best so far lol
coupe%20blue%204_zpsbaasyvof.jpg

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
If it's a Medallion with the opera lamps and thinner quarter glass, there are sheetmetal plugs spot-welded into place for the smaller glass opening, and yes--the glass itself is smaller too.

Cant remember if the owner said if it was a medallion,but from your discription and this pic im goin to say yes? So is the main rear window smaller to?

00606_5B4dmHxNfUq_600x450_zps6e8a4f1b.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
No, the backlight is the same as any other '80-'81 coupe. The window plugs are what hold up the opera lamps and fit the smaller quarter glass. The plugs are the size of a standard coupe quarter window. I think I still have a set of the standard glass & trim, like what's shown in the brochure you've been photoshopping. Mine was an '81 Medallion, and I didn't like the smaller quarter glass & opera lamps. The problem, of course, is the inner trim panels are different as well... it's not just filler plugs, the entire interior quarter piece (armrests and all) are different. Those pieces are freakin' huge, and I still have those as well. I can get pics when I get home if you'd like.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Ok i understand the quarter windows.
Im still confused about the rear, as all the dip coupes have chrome trim around the window, but the lebaron doesnt have the trim, looks like the vinyl is tucked behind something like a 5th ave

alfatar

Reaction score
I like it..... custom paint like the cougar??

mike

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
maybe some day. after I get it ill throw my 5 spoke supremes on it, wipe up the custom grille and split bumper and just cruise it while I build the dart and finish my 5th ave, and then ill tear into it and do up some other plans I have secretly planed and do the paint and body

NoCar340

Reaction score
Ok i understand the quarter windows.
Im still confused about the rear, as all the dip coupes have chrome trim around the window, but the lebaron doesnt have the trim, looks like the vinyl is tucked behind something like a 5th ave
The trim is grained like the vinyl roof. Yes, it's actually stamped with a grain pattern in it and painted to match, but I assure you it's there. You'll see what I mean when you get the car.

I think only the Medallions got the grained, painted trim. One of the LeBaron coupes from which I got parts had the regular chrome, same as a non-vinyl stripper LeBaron coupe in the same yard (the only one I've ever seen in person that was non-vinyl from the factory).

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
ok cool. hard to tell from the grainy pics I do have of it.
one more question. im sure there is trim around the vinyl, but is it chrome? like by the trunk lid area

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
ok im sure this one wont happen, but its a cool idea id like to do, roll down quarter windows

coupeblue5_zps53ff4c3e.jpg

alf44

Reaction score
how about the quarter windows slide back into the c pillar. either way would be kool. roll down would be harder i think making a mechinisim to fit a small area like that but a slider could be built like a sliding rear window in a truck

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I know theres a few 80s caddy coupes that people have done the power quarter windows using k-car lebaron mechanisms

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
this is the one I remember the most, found it online years ago and always remember it, main car I got the idea from

CHOO20CHOOS20BROUGHAM_zpsba707b8c.jpg

CHOO20CHOOS203_zpsad0c91b5.jpg

and it gets even cooler, why stop at the quarter windows?
CHOO20CHOOS202_zps2ea55367.jpg

alf44

Reaction score
if i was going to keep my 5th ave that would be awesome to have a roll down rear window

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
hell yeah it would
would love to do it to mine, but due to other obsitcles it would be impossible

Back