Derby Time!

CMX360

Reaction score
A few of my derby M-bodies. I've derbied four Fifth Avenue/New Yorkers and won 5 trophies with them.
mayhem1x.jpg

1984 Fifth Ave (before)
mayhemduo1.jpg

84 Fifth Ave and 81 New Yorker
mayhem12x.jpg

84 Fifth Ave (after). Got 1st!
DSC01941.jpg

81 New Yorker. Got 2nd Twice.
87ChryslerFifthAve5.jpg

87ChryslerFifthAve2.jpg

87 Fifth Ave (before)
DSC02548.jpg

87 Fifth Ave (after). No more trips to the grocery store. Got 2nd.

Anyone else ever derby an M?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Give em some live video like I did

[ame]http://youtu.be/CKEXJx4R13E[/ame][ame="http://youtu.be/5DymN4IT_ks"][/ame]​

[ame]http://youtu.be/k16p0gNffeg[/ame]​

Last edited:

CMX360

Reaction score
Tell your buddy next time he derbys 1 to flip an remount the back bumper . The rearend won't go down .

I know that trick. I was told flipping the shocks and bolting them to the trunk floor would help as well. Most of the derbies I do however are strict and don't allow those kinds of mods. One year I did get away with it though. My 81 New Yorker in the second pic has an upside down front bumper on the rear.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
1 of these days my buddy who runs these car is suppose to upload a video of him running against some pretty ( they thought ) tough stuff . Full sized GM & Ford iron . In the video he puts a hit on my son with his "M" body . My son was running a 71 Pontiac Grand Prix , maybe a 70 , been awhile back . Anywho , he took my son out with 1 hit . Shoved the back seat area of the grand prix up to the back of the front seat . The "M" motored away nearly unscaved . Meaning damage to the "M" was very little/minor . We laughed our butts off, and the son vowed not to get into the same heat as " Hemi " again . It was hilarious .

nbrieber2009

Reaction score
Nice! just bought and building an 87 fifth ave exactly like your blue one. same color and everything. Just using it for Figure 8's instead. got any good tips?

moparmaniac75

Reaction score
I derbied an '80 lebaron that wasn't safe for the road anymore and it lasted 10 rounds of rough going and still ran like a top and was drivable it had the slant six in it oh and a tip I used to keep the butt from dragging was to take a sledgehammer and beat a crease into the area just in front of the trunk and it folded up nicely

nbrieber2009

Reaction score
derby time

figure 8's are way easier than demo. You run what you brung basically. No driver door hitting. Door bar. Safety cage, tank inside car, all the derby basics. But no rules on the car. You can race anything from circle track cars to outlaw demo cars. Some people go out to take people out and others are there just to race. I'm out there just to race. I found out the hard way lol. My first few races pissed off a lot of people. I was out having fun and blastin cars in the middle. Got disqualifed once for it. The real nice thing about is you can run your demo car in f8's before you demo it. My 318 has the electric carb. Can you still advance the timing? Is there other bolt in rearends I can use that are geared higher. I believe mine has the 2.92 or something like that. Like to find something in the 500 range or higher?

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
First off how far do you wanna get into that engine ? leave it stock , or beef it up using stock parts ? Electronic carb ? Take that sorry sonofagun and toss it . Grab a Rochester off a 283 , 307( chebby ) , or a 327 , all small bolt pattern carbs . You'll need to pull it a part for a rebuild , and some jet drilling , lol . Rearends ? "B" body 8 3/4 direct bolt in , but if you get stuck running what's in there then find a 90's full size dodge van with 8 1/4 in it . I almost guarantee it's 3:55 gears and will fit straight in that
8 1/4 you got in there now, been there done it already . Carb won't be compatible with tranny kick down so wire it back 3/4 of the way back and forget about it . Done this many times and never lost a 904 tranns , never .

Now if you wanna get inside the motor for hot little motor then just let me know . ok !

Back