Detailing Engine Bay

randomguy

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 84 Chrysler Fifth Avenue and I'm wondering what is the best way about detailing the engine yourself? I'm wanting to remove the grime and dirt from the engine and engine bay. Just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips and cleaners/chemicals used to detail. Thank you.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Use methyl-ethel-keytone or MEK for short, this will remove some of the paint also. But a great degreaser. Make sure you have good ventilation.

Master M

Reaction score
Hello, First of all start with a just slightly warm engine. Cover all of the electrical parts, distributor, alternator, firewall wiring etc.
Cover your carburetor, and on any heavy grime you can use a plastic scraper to remove. I have used Gunk foaming engine cleaner with good results. Do a small section at a time so you don't get things any wetter than you have to. Use a parts brush to work in the degreaser. Rinse and repeat. I would use an adjustable hose nozzle on a fan spray rather than jet if you can to avoid too much overspray. Small detailing brushes work well also. When you are done cleaning it is a good time to replace valve cover gaskets if you need to. Stay away from using a power washer. You can hook your hose to a hot water source for extra cleaning power. Mineral spirits ( paint thinner ) cuts grease well and will not harm paint. Use Meguiar's rubber conditioner for all of your hoses etc. You can also use a spray like the dealer's do for that factory fresh look. That's all for now, happy scrubbing.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'll add a big second to the hot water. If it's feasible, hook the hose to the drain valve on your water heater. Amazing what just plain hot water will do on it's own, even without any cleaning agent. Add cleaner to the hot water and....................

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I use a HOT water pressure washer to clean all my engine bays ;)..

Do you think the engine bay stays dry when it is driven in the rain ??

Soak it in degreaser, and then LET IT RIP with the pressure washer with the hottest water it can handle.

randomguy

Reaction score
Thank you all so far. What about using simple green? Also, what parts of the wiring should I cover? Anything else I should cover? Thank you in advance.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Theoretically, unless your engine bay wiring is a shambles and has knicks in the wiring.. or half done up connectors.. getting it wet should not affect anything.

In fact, spraying it down and having issues may lead you to fix a weakness you didn't know you had ;)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Simple Green works pretty good on oily residue and general grunge, not so effective on grease. However, it won't discolor paint or eat away at stuff.

As long as you don't spray high pressure water directly into the alternator or distributor, etc, should be OK. Like 8V said, engine compartments are designed to be more or less water proof. Look under the hood after driving through a deluge, everything is dripping with water. However, it isn't a bad idea to unplug the electrical connectors afterwards and dry them with compressed air, then apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the terminals to ward off any corrosion and the resulting high resistance which can cause bad things to happen. Ever see the classic melted terminals at the firewall bulkhead connector? Don't go overboard with the stuff though!

Back