Don't Do This

Justwondering

Reaction score
lowbudget!
missed you around here, dude!
Excellent price on the material.

1. Front A pillars: you don't have to remove the dash to get it out. At least I didn't on my fifth avenue. Just back out the screws up on the top of the two 'arms' of the pillar and tension holds it in. Firmly pull the pillar out.

2. Rear inside bonnet: I pieced mine. Decide if you want a seam in the center or two seams (about 8 inches in) one on each side. I went with the two seams since it made the material handling easier - smaller pieces.

I glued the long flat area on the top and bottom; carried it to the inside corners. Then cut a rectangular piece for each side that would cover the side-vertically- and another 20 to 25 inches longer than you need. You want to find the center of the vertical side on the bonnet. Find the center on the fabric. Glue from center to end of the vertical and then wrap it around on top of the long piece you just put on.

I figured out how far I wanted it (8 inches), and cut it about 2 inches longer. Folded the raw edge under and glued it down.

Let me see if I have a picture and I'll post it in next reply.

Justwondering

Reaction score
You will not believe this.
There are no interior trim shots on my computer. This is sad.
I'm missing the entire subdirectory of interior trim project.
Wow.
I'll go take some pictures in just a bit.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Walked outside to take pictures.
Doh!
Car is in having a/c charged and all my repairs reviewed. It isn't here.

Here is an rear picture:
IMG_4445-lines.jpg

On the inside bonnet, about where those yellow lines show-- that's where I did the overlap on each side.
Two on the bottom
Two on the top.

lowbudget

Reaction score
The front pillars might crumble if I try to pull them out....at least on the drivers side. I will try and work a skinny plastic trim tool around them in the morning. I'm done for the night as it is T-Bone time now and just rained here. Besides I will be half way there when I stick the right Infinity radio in so pulling the dash wont be bad.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
gotcha..
guess I was just really lucky... all my trim was in great shape.
I a sorry I don't have the pictures, but if you have the headliner you are half done (almost).

lowbudget

Reaction score
I don't know how I'm going to fix that front pillar yet. Plastic bumper repair stuff is what I'm thinking then Bondo. Next days off it will be the Vinyl top on my 87.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems the A-pillar trim – quality depends on year it was made (my guess). I have seen some fabric covered A-pillar trim already crumbed – or will crumble if a person looks at it long enough. I’ve also seen some appear to be fairly durable.

I removed a headliner out of a ’88 5th Ave a month ago or so, and the A-pillar trim appeared to be a lot sturdier than what I’ve worked with before, so I grabbed ‘em. They need to be recovered - the red fabric is showing its age.
Also, I wasn’t able to remove them with dash top still on. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t.

I hadn’t looked at my original A-pillar trim (been five or so years sense removed from car) – so I might have an extra pair, maybe – but I think my original pair were in the crumble condition (in other words, don't get your hope up).

At the same pull-a-part, there is a pair of non-fabric covered A-pillar trim from a ’80 Aspen station wagon – but that pair was warped extremely bad (warped like a balloon stepped on – bad).

BudW

lowbudget

Reaction score
My Buddy has 2 M's and a F wagon left in his yard, I have 2 F's here but they are both 2 doors.....My wagon and my Aspen pillars are staying there. I will figure out something as I am a pretty resourceful type guy.

Best of all I got the rear done and it looks pretty good. I have hints for the next person though. At work we call it lessons learned. Thanks to Justwondering for all the help. Back out to the battle.

Justwondering

Reaction score
My apologies for not posting pictures last night.
I was finishing chores and it was getting dark so I opted to set the fan up on the veranda, recline in the lounge chair and stare at the stars for 2 hours.

Brother and I saw 6 meteors and 15 satellites before we went to bed.

The Milky Way was simply spectacular last night. And we discussed so many topics... was great way to unwind.

Back