Dropping the tank

brotherGood

Reaction score
Alright, so next on my list is dropping the fuel tank. I need to do so to install a new sender for my aftermarket fuel gauge. I've got new straps, and a new snap ring, as well as new line (although it's just the one size-I now know there are multiple sizes)

First question, what's the best way to come at this? I'm not sure how full the tank is, but dad swears it's close to full (he drove it last)

Second, is it worth going ahead and moving the tank over to allow for possibly dual exhaust. I'm not fond of how my pipes are currently routed, but I've not decided on the next version.

Third, what is the best way to wire this new gauge. I'm assuming run it along the path of the existing harness, but should I run a fresh ground or can I just tap into the existing ground?

Thanks in advance.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
You will have to empty the tank. When the fluid starts sloshing around, and it will, it will practically jump off the jack(s). Gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon and so 14 gallons(almost full) is 84 pounds, and plus the tank is pushing 100pounds. Besides; if you have to take the filler pipe out of the tank,half way down, or the gasket leaks; you could have a life or death situation real quick, not to mention your garage would burn down,etc.
So siphon it out before you start.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
IF you can't empty the tank, make sure you have two people and a floor jack. It can be done and safely. When I pulled mine around 2004, it was full of gas put in in 1996 and,,,,,,,,STINK! I put the floor jack under the center of the tank and slowly lowered it while sliding it off the filler tube. Had my better half steadying one side just in case, so it wouldn't tip off the jack pad. Wasn't that bad to do, just heavy. Drug the tank outside and put it next to the garage until I could do something with it (tank was not going to be reused). Smelled like rotten gas in the garage for a month.

Out of curiosity, I put some of that gas in a metal tray and took a propane torch to it. All it did was blow it out of the way, not even the slightest bit flammable anymore. Inside of the tank was solid rust and the sender was beyond junk by that point.

Duke5A

Reaction score
AJ is right, siphon the gas out! Once is starts sloshing the tank will want to nose over in the direction of the slosh. When you correct to keep the tank up it'll slosh in the other direction. Like playing whack-a-mole with a flammable substance. If you can get it empty you can pull it by yourself if absolutely necessary - I've done it, but wouldn't recommend it.

Moving the tank over is your call. The middle of the tank where the vent line goes is a raised section and trunk floor has clearances to accommodate. If you it over you'll need to beat the shit out of the trunk floor to extend that clearance towards the passenger side to slide the tank over and still have it sit flush to the trunk floor. After that the fuel filler neck will need to be elongated. This can be done cutting it in half and sliding fuel filler hose over the steel pipe and set to the length needed.

I did it a number of years ago and honestly, I regret it. What I had to do to the floor amounted to butchery and if you don't get the length just right on the filler you won't be able to fill the tank all the way.

Your best bet is to just run the pipes up over the rear axle and dump in front the rear wheels. 2.25" pipe fits just fine.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Okay. I've gotta button up a door panel then I'll be yanking this thing out. I'll probably just avoid moving the tank, I may just dump at the axle and be done with it.

As far as getting the fuel out, what is the best way to accomplish this? I'm not banking on getting any help, so I cant run the risk of a big problem.

Also, what would be the best way to route the sender wire. Or can I just tap into the old wire as the sender would be different?

Duke5A

Reaction score
Any of these will work: Gas Syphon: Amazon.com

Just be sure whatever you're dumping the fuel into is an container approved to hold gas.

I suppose you could tap into the existing wire, or run a new one following the old. Any reason why you wouldn't just fix the existing gauge?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I'm running all aftermarket. I've not had factory gauges in like 3 years, I've just also not had these right this whole time..haha.

I'm assuming the difference is due to the voltage difference..I just dont know where that becomes an issue (whether it be a sender or elsewhere)

IMG_20200105_160052_107.jpg

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I allowed 17 gallons of old fuel out of my imperial, by jacking up the rear of the car as high as the 3 ton floor jack/jack stands would support... and putting a 3 foot hose on fuel line where it feeds the fuel filter.. The tank drained itself into my gas cans with very little effort on my part.

brotherGood

Reaction score
While today would be a great day (65° in January in Ohio??!!) I'll probably wait until I can open the garage up. No matter what I seem to do, anything with fumes always ends up in the house..so I'll make sure I open everything up and help vent away if I can.

Or, just do it when nobody is home

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A long time ago (a few decades) I bought a low-pressure electric (frame mounted) fuel pump. I think It came off a Japanese made (carbureted) pickup made around ’80 or so. I attached about 15 foot of wire on one end and about 5 foot for ground wire with big alligator clips for both. The pressure is so low that hose clamps are not needed. I could disconnect a 5/16” fuel hose from either under vehicle or in engine compartment and hook of the pump and let it do its thing.

DO NOT drain fuel into anything that is not approved for gasoline! Clear milk bottles, soda bottles, Styrofoam cups, etc. will lead to a disaster – for the gasoline will eat right through those materials, some faster than others.

Man-handling a fuel tank with fuel in it, IS NOT FUN and is not recommended to do solo.

The only thing I would change in what was recommended above, is to disconnect the fuel filler neck from quarter panel and drop the tank with filler neck still attached to tank.
BudW

Duke5A

Reaction score
DO NOT drain fuel into anything that is not approved for gasoline! Clear milk bottles, soda bottles, Styrofoam cups, etc. will lead to a disaster – for the gasoline will eat right through those materials, some faster than others.

It can be fun. Burned a portapoty down to the ground with it when I was a kid. Ahhh, to be young again.

Back