dry interior plastics

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Replace them. 2 door and 4 door A pillars are different.

LSM360

Reaction score
so on my lebaron ls the interior plastics are dry around the windshield what is the best way to fix these if possible
It's tough to fix. I have removed and sanded the loose stuff off these and painted with SEM interior paint and they came out pretty decent. But if they are badly disintegrated they'll be too thin and warp after sanding.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Some plastics reactivate their plasticity with hot water. Maybe a trip in the dishwasher, but I'd turn off the after-wash heat.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
I'd paint them to seal-in the elements of the plastic and bind the loose stuff to the surface, but I'd still dishwasher them first.

LSM360

Reaction score
Ohhhh I don't know about the dishwasher thing. You might clog the dishwasher if there's a lot of loose stuff! I've had ones that would flake with my finger nail. Those I sanded fairly high grit, cleaned with 70% isopropyl alcohol and then as I mentioned before, couple of coats of SEM paint. SEM is a very good interior paint that holds up very well and looks very good. Once I changed a steering wheel from brown to blue with SEM and it held up for years, even with the constant rubbing of hands.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I did my old white a-pillar trim by sanding, followed by a coat of SEM texture coating, and then SEM interior paint. They turned out decent. Of course the texture didn't look like original grain, but it was better than nothing. You know how the white plastic crumbles. Since then, replaced them with much better pieces though.

20240514_182005.jpg

Back