End link bushings

Camtron

Reaction score
hello everyone,
Would someone know the appropriate torque for the steering stabilizer, end link bolts? Wanted to throw in some new Moog bushings on my lunch break.

Thanks!

Edit: just got off the phone with Moog tech support. The guy said 12ft lbs; which seems a little low

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
If you are talking about the end link where the front sway bar bolts to the torsion bar. My 77 service manual shows 50 ft pounds

Camtron

Reaction score
If you are talking about the end link where the front sway bar bolts to the torsion bar. My 77 service manual shows 50 ft pounds
I think those would be the ones.

image.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
Yes, that is what my 77 factory manuals shows. 50ft lbs Seems like a lot for that bolt.

Camtron

Reaction score
Yes, that is what my 77 factory manuals shows. 50ft lbs Seems like a lot for that bolt.
I thought so too. I went with 25ft lbs at the moment. That’s right about where the bushing started to actually squish a little bit and look like a regularly installed bushing. If someone has reference specific to 1981-1989, I’ll change it up. Felt good going around the industrial complex by my work though.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The '79 manual also shows 50 ft lbs. With the size and grade of bolt, provided the replacement MOOG one is the same grade and tensile strength as the original, 50 ft lbs isn't too much.

At work I run into this all the time. You look at the size of the fastener and then the torque spec and you swear the bolt will break, but they never do.

Camtron

Reaction score
The '79 manual also shows 50 ft lbs. With the size and grade of bolt, provided the replacement MOOG one is the same grade and tensile strength as the original, 50 ft lbs isn't too much.

At work I run into this all the time. You look at the size of the fastener and then the torque spec and you swear the bolt will break, but they never do.
Kit comes with a 7/16 grade 8, if I remember my little chart correct, that’s rated for about 70ft lbs. maybe 50ft lbs is the right answer. Anyone else have manufacturer info? If another person says 50ft lbs, I’ll go crank them down some more.

Camtron

Reaction score
Torqued them down to 50ft lbs...things got a little squirrelly once I was out of the industrial park and on the back highway lol everything is nice and tight and steers like a new car. Thanks for the reply’s

Aspen500

Reaction score
Nope, 50 is the spec in all the service manuals so it's all good!
Fastener torque isn't about keeping it from coming loose as much as it's to stretch the bolt a specific amount for clamping force. That's the condensed version anyways. We spent about 2 weeks on fastener torque and types of fasteners, fastener material, what fastener material, grade and tensile strenth is best in specific applications (blah, blah, blah) in school but that was a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago (meaning 35-40 years) and some of the theory has faded in what's left of my mind.:confused:
Torque to yield is a whole other thing. Sometime's head bolt torque can get REALLY monotonous. Subaru for example. It's something like 22 ft lbs, 22 ft lbs again, 55 ft lbs, 74 ft lbs, back the bolts off 1 turn (in reverse sequence), then 22 ft lb, 51 ft lbs plus 90 degrees, plus another 90 degrees and the center two bolts an additional 90 degrees, in sequence of course. Thankfully there's only 6 bolts per head on the 4 banger, 8 on the 6 cyl, otherwise you'd go insane, lol.:eek:

Back