Engine Tech Question - 318 with Lean Burn

johnnyride

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question on an engine component. I was taking off my air cleaner assembly to get at the carb and when I went to pull off the air/breather hose you see in the picture, it pulled off the nub on the end of that gold part that goes from the air cleaner into the valve cover. Can someone identify that part, what it does (I assume air) and if the part is still available. Thanks all, sorry if it's a stupid question that I should know, but I am not good with engines.

And how can I remove it? Does it pull out, turn out? I have a Slant-6 LS parts car - I believe it has the similar part in it. Are they the same?

John

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
That is the crankcase breather and pulls filtered air from the air cleaner. It's the inlet to the crankcase, and the outlet to the intake is the PCV valve, on the other valve cover. From there the vapor goes to the intake and finally the combustion chamber where it gets burned and exhausted out the t-pipe. The part is easily available from just about any parts store, or even the dealer, and yes, the slant-6 one will be the same. It pulls out of a grommet in the valve cover. Since the grommet is old, it may take some force to pull out. If you end up needing a new grommet, those are easy to come by also.

johnnyride

Reaction score
Thanks! The one in the parts car, and the grommet came right out. Grommet is in great shape, almost new. Still soft and pliable. It does only have like 55K on it

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Good deal! I've dealt with valve cover grommets (on multiple makes at work) where they're petrified.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's funny how sometimes old ones are stuck other times they pretty much fall out.

Back