Error in Wiring Diagram M-Body Hazard switch?

69-

Reaction score
I might be missing something, but I'm somehow a little lost.

My 79 LeBaron with tilt steering wheel acts like it should (according to the service manual):
-> Hazard Switch on -> all lights flash (correct)
-> additionally apply brake -> all lights ON (correct for tilt steering according to service manual - continuing flashing lights for non-tilts).

So far, so good.

Now, here in Germany, we have a "technical requirement", that the flasher must continue to flash, even if you apply the brake. Don't even get me started with the discussion which is better....
Anyhow, looking at the wiring diagram for both (tilt and non-tilt, see below), the wiring seems to be exactly the same (wires in diagram are just diferently routed) - except for an additional connector with the tilt steering. And the hazard switch disconnects the brake switch from rear lights in both cases. But the tilt-steering does not disconnect brake switch from directional lights....

Might the wiring diagram be incorrect for the tilt steering?

This sounds like a superfluous discussion :), but I'd love to understand before I dismantle the switch (which otherwise operates perfectly for directional an speed control) and adjust wiring to comply with local requirements.

hazard-wiring.png

Sub03

Reaction score
I'll have to agree with you here 69-. The wiring diagrams looks the same to me.
If I get the diagrams right, the feed from the brake light switch (18W) is disconnected with the hazard switch in "on" position.
Maybe you are right, it could be that the diagram is incorrect. Not the first time if that is the case...

But I don't understand the point in making it different depending on tilt/non tilt.

69-

Reaction score
Neither do I.

Looking at the switch pictures of the different version at Rockauto - w / wo tilt and w / wo cornering lights these switches look utterly different... (beside the additional connector).

Weired wiring.
:)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Tilt column is Saginaw and uses a GM signal switch (including wiring) which is completely different from Chrysler.

Compare a '79 LeBaron switch with a '79 Caprice. They look exactly the same, other than possibly wire colors.

69-

Reaction score
Ahh, that solves the mystic switching puzzle. :)

Thanks, Aspen500.

But... driving half a Chevy... :eek:

Edit: on the other hand - this opens up quite some possibilities to buy the part for less than half the price in Germany to do some dissecting and testing :)

Last edited:
Back