F/A throttle rod clip

Cambo

Reaction score
I recently bought a 83' Fifth Avenue, and after a shakedown drive found the kick down was not working. A little poking around and I found the throttle shaft was not attached to the cantilever style lever under the car. I see no hole in the rod, so I assume there is a clip missing? I have not been able to find one that fits, would I be better off drilling a hole and just using a cotter pin?
IMG_8427.JPG
IMG_8431.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it should have a clip similar to what holds the door latch rod to the latch, except made of metal.
You can try drilling and using a small cotter pin, although the rods are made from hard steel and are tough to drill.
For what it's worth, the spring clip p/n is 2899361
I found the same style clips listed for Powerglide (like the pic) among others, whether they are the same size, I have no idea.
clip.jpg

Cambo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it should have a clip similar to what holds the door latch rod to the latch, except made of metal.
You can try drilling and using a small cotter pin, although the rods are made from hard steel and are tough to drill.
For what it's worth, the spring clip p/n is 2899361
I found the same style clips listed for Powerglide (like the pic) among others, whether they are the same size, I have no idea.
View attachment 18126
Thanks Aspen, I do have some of those clips in my stash, but nowhere near as large. The rod measures 5/16" diameter, all I have is 1/4" and 1/8" clips that I believe were off a GM.
You are right about the hardening, the drill bit I tested on it didn't do a whole lot.
I'll just wait and find the clip, I didn't really want to take the car out in a snowstorm today anyways!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Do some searching, I'm sure they're available somewhere. If you have a big Ace Hardware in the area, maybe check their clips and fasteners aisles.

I tried drilling one of those rods once and even the best cobalt, diamond tipped, nuclear powered bit barely scratched the surface.

Cambo

Reaction score
So far I've had no luck finding a 5/16" clip, but I found something that at least got me back on the road.
The local Home Depot had a axle hat nut that fit nice. With it pressed all the way on, it left just the right amount of free play, and also gripped well enough that I could not pull it off by hand. Fifty miles of city driving and it's still on there.
I'll still be looking for the factory clip but I'm curious how long this hat nut will hold!
IMG_8447.JPG
IMG_8450.PNG

Justwondering

Reaction score
agreed.
We had those cap nuts on the wheels to a small garden wagon.
Finally had to use a grinder to cut through it to get it off so we could change out the wheel.

Back