F body A/C, slant-6 -- pull intake/exhaust question

shadango

Reaction score
Anyone with an F body, slant 6 A/C car know if its possible to yank the intake/exhaust manifolds without ALSO pulling the A/C & air pump, steering pump etc?

Have to change our intake/exhaust gasket and trying to not have to rip the entire engine down again to do it....

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but not a one person job.

OK, maybe one person with a cherry picker.

Is a job that is so much easier to do with engine removed – but that bridge has already been crossed.

I was wondering, is your new intake iron or aluminum?
The later year /6’s used aluminum intakes – which are a lot easier on the ole back.
BudW

shadango

Reaction score
Yes, but not a one person job.
OK, maybe one person with a cherry picker.
Is a job that is so much easier to do with engine removed – but that bridge has already been crossed.

I was wondering, is your new intake iron or aluminum?
The later year /6’s used aluminum intakes – which are a lot easier on the ole back.
BudW

Ours are both iron...or as Pittsburghers say it -- "AHRN!"

I know its heavy as hades.....but we did it....we installed the engine first THEN mounted the mainfolds when we put it all together.

I know we can do it again.....just hoping to avoid having to pull the giant mess that is the A/C compressor, AIR pump, bracketry, steering pump to do it. That would save hours.

I know some of the brackets mount to the exhaust manifold......at least one does....a brace/bracket I think.....gonna have to look closer....

Wish I had gone with REMFLEX to begin with...probably wouldnt have the leaks...but the allure of a reusable gasket enticed me. That and the cost of the REMFLEX. LOL

If Dan from Slant6 is reading this -- I know ---you told me so. LOL

Back