F-Body , Body-Mountig Set

Tic-Tac

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I bought this body mounting set at summit.
Prothane Body Mount Bushings 4-101-BL

All four have the same height.
Is that the same in the original?
Unfortunately, I can not measure it because they are very badly broken an destroyed
When measuring I get four different information :-(
Have already read here in the forum but there were usually no F-Bodys with the kit.
Or are they all the same F, M, J?
28424057_1610049405744882_1715533313023512414_o.jpg

Sorry, if I missed the answer in another thread

89.Fifth

Reaction score
Yes, I believe all 4 are same height originally. I have a complete original set and when I checked they all looked the same but that was a few weeks ago. Don't have them in front of me to confirm.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I concur with 89 fifth. They are the same height, or thickness. Even though the poly insulators are technically for a b-body, they work on an f-body just fine.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The ’73 and up B, R, F, M and J-body K-frame insulators are all the same – but there is one difference. There are two larger and two smaller insulators and the position on car is different between B & R-bodies and FMJ-Bodies. Once insulator are removed, they originals (and replacements?) should be marked “front” and “rear” (which “think” are mis-marked on FMJ-body cars).

When your old ones are out – just put the larger ones in place of the larger ones, and so forth.

You might have to unbolt the upper control arm to bracket bolts and might have to unbolt the upper control arm brackets (to K-frame) – to allow enough room for insulators to come out.

When unbolting the upper control arm brackets – keep an eye out for large spacers that look like this.
FMJ Suspension spacer A.jpg

If any come out – be sure to put them back in place.
BudW

Tic-Tac

Reaction score
Thank you
The only spacers I found were those on the torsion bar holder.
left and right one.
about 1mm thick
Upper and lower arm must have been made before.
looked so far quite new.
Anyway, I want to rest and it comes new
28576916_1610532062363283_7770499187547378111_n.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The washers you have pictured are called friction plates and they are to prevent the torsion bars from moving after bolted into place.
Be sure to re-install them!

The spacers I’m referring to, go behind the upper support bracket and the K-frame itself. They are used to give the car additional adjustment for cars that can’t get into alignment. These two washers are sizeable and thick (1/4 inch or 6.4 mm).
77 FSM pg 2-12a.JPG

The Support Bracket is held on by 4 bolts (red lines - above) and spacers typically fall out after bolts are removed (if present to begin with).
BudW

Tic-Tac

Reaction score
Oh ok. Thank you
But there were no spacers.
Unfortunately, I have not driven the car yet.
The engine was running very clean but went out again after 1 minute.
I'll build some for security.
At the axis setting I would have some.
If I need her

Back