F-Body oil pressure gauge

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Anyone have a wiring diagram showing hookup for gauge. All diagrams I have show sending unit wiring as the same all the way back to idiot light but do not show the gauge at all.Is the gauge wired in series or parallel with light or do you disconnect the wiring to the light and run the circuit through the light. I know the sending unit is different but can`t find reference to gauge wiring in any of my diagrams for 76 to 79 Aspen or Volare.

Aspen500

Reaction score
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
Here's the '79 diagrams.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
You would have to install a T fitting, and then put both sending units into it to have both gauge, and idiot light. The idiot light will not work on the sending unit for the gauge.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
I see wire G6 20GY running from sender all the way back to terminal J on on right PC board which plugs into back of dash cluster. PC board has an internal jumper from J to G terminals but I`m still not seeing an oil pressure gauge in this wiring either. I do thank you for the help though.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
You would have to install a T fitting, and then put both sending units into it to have both gauge, and idiot light. The idiot light will not work on the sending unit for the gauge.
Thank you . That gets me half way there. To do that I would also have to run 2 sets of wiring. One for gauge and one for light.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Thank you . That gets me half way there. To do that I would also have to run 2 sets of wiring. One for gauge and one for light.

That is correct, two sets of wiring. If you attempted to run the idiot lamp off of the gauge sending unit, you would have an idiot light the got brighter as oil pressure would rise.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
That`s kinda what I figured. So the way I see it is that the pressure sender is just a variable resistor on the negative side of the circuit using the engine block as the ground. I could just clip wire J off the right side PC connector and run it to the gauge giving me the circuit to the gauge. Then I`d just have to supply fused 12V to the other side of the gauge.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You're right, it doesn't show the actual gauge does it? I'm not familiar with the gauge on F-bodies. Does it go in the cluster in place of the "OIL" and "BRAKE" light or somewhere else like the clock space? That's where I put mine.
I'll do a little more digging in the wire diagrams. Maybe it's in there someplace.

DSCF0001.JPG

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Yes it mounts in the same spot as the digital clock where yours is mounted. I have non-air conditioned car so I am going to do a little custom work on the dash and move the digital clock over to where the left side vent is and put the analog factory oil pressure gauge in the stock location. That`s a mighty clean looking dash you have there. Where is that oil pressure gauge from?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thanks man! The bezel, vents and switch plates are about 40 hours of tedious work. The "chrome" is that Eastwood Liquid Chrome system.

The oil pressure gauge is Dakota Digital mounted in an old clock housing. Even wired it up to use the clock harness connector. Wanted a gauge but wanted it to "look stock" (sort of).

I looked and looked, found nothing else on the factory gauge wiring set up oter than the 2 diagrams I posted a pic of. Must be in a service manual supplement or TSB or something. My '79 parts catalog (print) has a tab for Police/Taxi but there's no pages that may have shown something. In the H-N instrument cluster listings it gives a p/n for the oil pressure gauge but it's in "The following items are no illustrated" list. Close as it gets for the harness is the harness for the digital clock............

Darth-Car

Reaction score
You're right, it doesn't show the actual gauge does it? I'm not familiar with the gauge on F-bodies. Does it go in the cluster in place of the "OIL" and "BRAKE" light or somewhere else like the clock space? That's where I put mine.
I'll do a little more digging in the wire diagrams. Maybe it's in there someplace.

View attachment 13919

That indeed is a very snazzy dash!

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
That`s O.K. Thanks for looking for me. I appreciate it. It`s not brain surgery to figure out how to hook it up. I mostly wanted to know if I needed regulated 12 volts or not for a supply.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If this means anything, I still have the manual for my '70 Barracuda (wish I had the car yet too!) and it shows a regulated 5 volts to the oil pressure gauge (or whatever the voltage is out of the limiter).

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
I`d like to be sure so I don`t fry the $100 NOS gauge I just bought.
--- Post updated ---
If someone who has the factory gauge could do me a huge favor and pull the lead off of their sending unit while the engine is running , hook up a meter on VDC , go from the lead off the sender to ground , and let me know if they get 5 volts or 12 volts I would greatly appreciate it.

Back