F Body Police Car

Police Cars

1. No Rust Please

No Rust Please New Member

I'm new to F bodies (life long B body guy) although we had a 76 Aspen SE wagon when I first got my licence in 77.
    My questions are about 76 F bodies. I have found a local 4 dr Volare that the owner claims is low mileage and rust free. He had it painted Caterpillar yellow which I think is why he hasn't sold it yet. I would like to clone it to a cop car.
    Does anyone know what size wheels and tires are a good fit for this? Would 15x7 wheels fit? What tire size without looking to large; and are sway bars hard to find for these cars now? thanks!

2. old yellow 78

old yellow 78 Well-Known Member

Hummm. Just a thought, but have you thought about "cloning" it into a taxi instead? It would save the cost of a paint job, and I think it would be quite interesting and attract a lot of attention particularly if you take it to shows.
    [​IMG]

3. BudW

BudW Well-Known Member

I know more about M-body police, than F-body police cars.

The M-body police did use the 6 oval hole 15x7 police wheels you are might already be familiar with, with dog dish caps.

I suspect the F-bodies did as well – but most of all F-bodies use 14” wheels.

There is no problem, at all, using the 15x7” police wheels on F-bodies – other than making sure speedometer drive gear difference - if overall tire height changes.

There are quite of few members here using the same wheels on their F-bodies.
    I will be as well, once I find a decent set of wheels, on my ’77 wagon.

On Tire sizes, I would read up in “Chassis, Suspension and wheels” section.

On sway bars, most manufactures quit making sway bars for FMJ cars, a few years back. They can be obtained – but not readily available.

That said, FFI does make a lot of suspension goodies for our cars, still. http://www.firmfeel.com/fmj_body_mopar_front_sway_bar.html

One of items that make the biggest change is to remove the rubber biscuits that attach K-frame to body, using solid mounts (Chrysler iron, FFI aluminum or polyurethane made by ?). Removing the rear differential Iso-clamp also makes a difference.

I recommend to make changes to tires and mounts first, then re-test before considering sway bars.
    BudW