Factory original paint

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a way to still get factory original paint? I am not talking about the type of paint (enamel, lacquer, etc.) but more about getting the correct factory colour in my case it would be paint codes SC9 (Nightwatch Blue) and TD3 (some sort of sliver/platinum, I don't have my paint chart for 1980 yet to get the official colour name). Should any good bodywork place be able to get the correct color, or would I need to find somebody who actually carries paint specifically for older cars?

Kostas

joeblo

Reaction score
Get the paint code from the fender tag and anyone that sells paint should be able to match the original color.

ramenth

Reaction score
PPG is good for the factory colors in single stage acrylics. Urethanes are way off and base/clears are usually converted to something from a more modern car, yet similar. I've been working with PPG for decades.

BASF usually has the best color matches for modern paints in the old colors.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
In my 1980 Sales Brochure it shows:
frost blue metalic/nightwatch blue
and nightwatch blue/burnished silver metalic
Thoes are the only 2 tones with nightwatch for 2 doors I see.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
80 LeBaron Coupe:

SC9= 1982 Mirada Nighrwatch Blue
TD3= 1980 Cordoba Light Heather Gray Poly (anybody know what Poly means?)

The two paint codes are for two different vehicles, not a two tone combination. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Kostas
:

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I was wondering why you wanted 2 colors.
1980 Burnished Silver is Chrysler code DT 1609/ Ditzler PPG #3261
1980 Nightwatch Blue is Chysler Code DT8804/ Ditzler PPG# 3146
1980 Light Heather Gray is Chrysler Code DT1613/ Ditzler PPG# 3263

Those PPG numbers can be crossed for other brands of paint.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
One more question about the factory original paint. In 1980, were the factories using enamel or lacquer? I know that they hadn't moved onto the colour coat/clear coat that is in use today. Is it possible to get the correct colour with a colour coat/clear coat?

Also, if anybody has access to the colour combinations, can anybody tell mewhat color the vinyl roof would be for the Light Heather Grey body colour? The 1980 Cordoba has a 1/2 vinyl roof that I beleive may have been white, but judging from the fading in the body, could very well have been grey.

Kostas

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I am guessing enamel. I have no idea what the Vinyl tops colors are.
I am looking into Dyeing mine.
Looking for High Quality /Durable Vinyl top dye

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Lucky you. My 1980 Cordoba needs a whole new vinyl top. It also seems to be a padded one, with some thin foam padding below the outer vinyl skin. I am hoping that whatever body shop I choose to go with also does vinyl tops as well.

Kostas

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Yeah I cant believe the Top is in excellent shape and the bumper fillers are rotted.
The Hot sun does its damage down here.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Strangely enough, for a part of the world that isn't all that warm, there is a lot of sun damage to cars here as well. Seems that due to our altitude (about 3500' above sea level), the sun's intensity is quite high, even without the heat that you get in Texas. I think you get a combination of heat and Sun/UV damage, we only get the UV damage, but it is still significant. Our inside door panels still get their tops cracked, and the wood grain goes pinkish. In the case of the 1980 Cordoba, the paint has faded to an almost white colour, and the whole top of the car looks like it has a sun burn. The blue 1982 Mirada has sunburned paint, cracked upper door panels, and the dash face has gone pinkish. On both cars, the upper door panels have gone pinkish from brown.

Kostas

ramenth

Reaction score
Choose your body shops carefully. If it's a full on collision shop which tinkers on antiques you might be waiting awhile.

A lot of the bigger ones also have mix stations on hand to be able to mix their own paint in house with the tints, binders, etc in stock. Ask if they are comfortable using single stage acrylic enamels or if they have painters experienced in the use of single stage acrylics. Do your research. Remember, price is only part of the equation when it comes to doing a professional job.

Back when I owned the restoration shop, people would ask me why I'm so expensive. I'd tell 'em to go ask the other guy why's he's so cheap.

Your car is acrylic enamel, by the way. Only GM was using lacquers on pretty much everything back in that day.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Getting that "just right" is stressing me out. I'm hooked on that Barrett Jackson painting system (Sherman Williams). Pepboys is retailing it for under 300 bucks. Now it ain't stock, but very cool for the weekend warrior to get a car shot with paint.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
High Speed Pursuit:

Thanks for looking that up for me. I am under the impression that the correct colour is white, as I just got a sales brochure for the 1980 Cordoba, and the Light Heather Grey Metallic (TD3 paint code) probably works best with white. Current roof, as bad as it is, is white, but I didn't know if it was due to fading, or it was actually white.I don't have any of the documentation that would allow me to match up the colour of the roof to the paint colour. I am also thrown off a bit with the interior color, which is a light tan sort of colour, probably the cashmere that is described in the sales brochure for the 60/40 split bench seat.

The car seems to be what the brochure is describing as the Cordoba Crown. based on the up and over roof molding (anybody know if this is chrome or stainless steel?), padded "landau" roof, and the "colour keyed vinyl roof termination" and ""Frenched"rear window" descriptions in the manual. The up and over roof molding is a narrower, flat band, not the wider, 3-4 ridge band on my 1982 Mirada. It is shiny on the outside edges, with the middle being brushed or matte. I think this is what the sales brochure is describing for the Crown Cordoba.

Ramenth:

Thanks for the heads up on the choice of painters. I never really thought about painters no longer remembering how to handle single step acrylic enamels. It makes sense, though, as the two step basecoat/clear coat has been in use by the factories for over a decade, now.

Kostas

Last edited:
Back