Fifth ave ride problems

realgone58

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there to see what other's think. My '86 Fifth has a clunking noise in the rear with even light road bumps (manhole covers, etc). Also, going down the road it seems as though I have wheel hop. Almost like a slight washboard effect. I know I need new brake rotors, they are not worn out, but they are warped, however steering wheel doesn't vibrate or move, and car goes down the road very straight. I am thinking most likely shocks, but kneeling on the bumpers, the suspension seems fairly stiff. The car has new tires, and I don't believe it has any bent rims. I'm hoping that rotors and shocks will cure the problem. Any other ideas?

My imp

Reaction score
If everything is tight, & nothing is broken, I'd check to see if the exhaust is hitting. While stagnant, it may clear, but while moving with suspension cycling & rubber exhaust hangers, this might just cause it.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I'd crawl under it and check everything and make sure none of the leaf springs are broke, and that the iso clamp setup ain't deteriorated or nothing, and like mentioned, check the exhaust system

realgone58

Reaction score
Crawled under it. Exhaust is nice and tight, no rust on this car anywhere, shocks still have paint on them, no broken leafs or leaf clamps, only thing I did notice is that the leafs are pretty flat, with not much of a curve to them. Matter of face the curve is a little inverted, but the car doesn't seem to be sitting low in the rear at all.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Does it make the noise if you push down on the bumper at all?

Something rattling around in the trunk?

My imp

Reaction score
With a flashlight, look around for witness marks. Anything that's making contact should have shiny spots. Anything loose should leave rust trails. Spare tire secure?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Are the shock bushings still in tact? How do the front bushings in the leaf springs look?

My imp

Reaction score
Are you putting your jack stands under the framr, or under the axle to simulate road conditions? If the axle is hanging, you are opening up the clearances you'd normally have while driving. A rubber hammer goes a long way in finding something loose that you may not find with hand pressure.

BHA43

Reaction score
I have a Volare wagon that makes weird clunking, ended up the front loops on the rear springs are cracked on the top.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I had what sounded like a grinding sound on my old '93 Mark VIII. Happened over bumps only, and as I was using Plus 1 sized wheels and much wider than stock wheels, I figured that it was the tires rubbing against some thing on the inner fender well. Took the wheels off, no rubbing to be seen anywhere, either on the tires or on the car itself. Put the tires back on, sure enough, grinding sound. Was talking to a friend of mine, car guy and part time mechanic. Went over to the car, grabbed the tail pipe, shook it, and said "you have a loose or missing exhaust pipe hanger". I didn't believe him, but later put the car up on jack stands, and sure enough, one of the hangers was loose. Tightened it back up, no more grinding noise.

Check the exhaust system for excessive play. Sometimes what sounds like suspension noise, isn't. Won't help with the ride issues, but may help with the clunking sound.

Kostas

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
That's the 1st thing I thought, but he said he checked. He didn't say whether it was jacked up or not. If the diff is hanging, the clearances obviously will change. He hasn't said anything lately, maybe we scared him off! lol

realgone58

Reaction score
Didn't scare me off, I'm still here guys.:icon_smile: I have not jacked the car up yet, and spare is secure with nothing else in the trunk. I can assure it's not the exhaust. However, when looking, I did notice that the leaf spring shackle bushings are very dry. Shocks don't appear bad, but they might have been there for many miles. Nothing rusts here, so it's hard to tell sometimes. Shocks are cheap, so I'm thinking I may just go ahead and do 4 new ones. If it still clunks and wheel hops in the back, it's probably time to go to the local spring shop. Are the leafs supposed to be slightly inverted on M bodies? I've had several Fifths before and lots of F bodies, but never had a suspension problem, so I can't remember how the leafs looked.

Back