Fifth Avenue Overhead Console Info Needed

FifthAveJoe

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Looking for some info on adding a 88-89 fifth Ave overhead console to my 86. I picked up the console last year, I don't have a wire harness for it but have the mounting bracket. I'm redoing my headliner and was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance. One of the big things I need to know is the size and placement of hole I will need to cut in the headliner board. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Duke5A

Reaction score
I put one into my 87 many moons ago. I think I've got a wiring diagram and install photos on my old computer. If I can't find those photos I can just pull the overhead down in the car and take a couple photos. It's only three screws and it comes down.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The console goes right up to the windshield trim. I might have a template still from mine but worst case headliner gets cut inside the perimeter of the console so it covers the edges of the hole.
The sun visors are different on 88/89 and have clips beside the console. I think they are shorter then the older visors but not 100% sure anymore.

Duke5A

Reaction score
The sun visors are different on 88/89 and have clips beside the console. I think they are shorter then the older visors but not 100% sure anymore.

Your memory is correct Mike. I needed to swap mine out with the ones I got from the donor car.

FifthAveJoe

Reaction score
A wiring diagram and some photos would be great! I thought the sun visors looked different in the very few pictures I've been able to find. I guess I will be in the market for some shorter visors and clips.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming the sunvisors it's been ages since I did that.

Wiring diagram. For whatever reason the manual happened to be right here.

20220408_143626.jpg

FifthAveJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the wiring diagram, that's a huge help!! I picked up a few temperature sensors off a few PT cruisers at the local pick n pull to try with the console.

Duke5A

Reaction score
These pictures are kind of crap. I installed the overhead in 2008 and the car didn't have a headliner back then. You don't need to run any wires down the a-pillar except for the temp sensor. 12v hot and 12v switched (via door light switch/doors) are already up there.

If you get it wired up and find one or both of the map lights do not come on when the door is open, but turn on with the button on the overhead then either the SCR for that light, or one of the diodes are toast. It's a common issue with these and isn't hard to fix with just a soldering iron. I can help with that if needed.

I'll try and dig the car out of hibernation this weekend and get a nice shot of the hole required to be put in the headliner. My car is still buried in the garage.

Cheers.

20210613_160524.jpg

100_1653.JPG

100_1654.JPG
100_1656.JPG
100_1665.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have (or had) a nice headliner that came with o/h console. Some roofers, fixing a roof leak, took my perfectly fine headliner and broke it in two - and I didn't find out until a few days after they were gone.
I might require reminding, but still have it in the garage to make measurements or pictures of the holes.

FifthAveJoe

Reaction score
A picture and some measurements of the headliner would be the last piece of the puzzle I need to get this console in the car. Any help would be appreciated.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I will try to dig it out of my garage for ya. I've had this headliner for maybe 10 years and kept it safe (to install into my Fifth Ave). Then these goons, went out of there way and broke it in half (or in two?).

Camtron

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but since it’s related I’ll ask: my overhead compass always points, North. If a fella was looking to fix/sort that out, what and where would he be looking?

Duke5A

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but since it’s related I’ll ask: my overhead compass always points, North. If a fella was looking to fix/sort that out, what and where would he be looking?

Sounds like it's bad. It's a solid state compass and there is a procedure to calibrate it, but it should still change heading as you turn.

Camtron

Reaction score
Sounds like it's bad. It's a solid state compass and there is a procedure to calibrate it, but it should still change heading as you turn.
Dang. Yea, it’s been frozen on, N for the last few months.

Back