Fifth Avenue update

lowbudget

Reaction score
I put a NOS power antenna on. I had to pull the dash to route the wires, but we have killer FM now.

I did a 5 tire rotation, polishing each wheel as I went.

I put the new to me rocker trim on the drivers side and put new clips under the passenger side. Thanks Marty for the clips.

I got the opera lights installed, what a pain as my 1987 still has the glass window in it.

I also put 3 pull handles on the door panels, pretty simple when you get to doing it.

I put a new window gear in the drivers side window as it was bouncy when being rolled up or down. I pulled the old gear apart and found someone had put 6 nuts in it instead of the plastic plugs. I hate when people jerry rig shit that they can go down to the parts store and pick up in the help section. Oh well it went pretty good.

Today is sequential turn signals, start removing the lean burn and full service. I drove it 2000 miles to a concert and it rained the whole way. The front end is squeaky due to all the water it went through and the oil is due.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I put a new window gear in the drivers side window as it was bouncy when being rolled up or down. I pulled the old gear apart and found someone had put 6 nuts in it instead of the plastic plugs. I hate when people jerry rig shit that they can go down to the parts store and pick up in the help section. Oh well it went pretty good.

The plastic plugs are a cost cutting trick by the manufacturer. When you are producing 100,000 units and it costs a half a cent for 5 plastic bushings, and the metal ones are two cents each, it adds up over time. The plastic ones will break down, making more play in the movement, and eventually crumbling causing it to become inoperable. putting metal nuts that are the same size increase the durability of the unit, it strengthens the movement as well.

putting fresh plastic ones in is ok, they could easily last 20 years, but there is a fine line between jerry rigging, the proper repair procedure and improving on a design flaw..

Back