First Post (in a while), First M Body...

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I used to be fairly active at FBBO but slacked-off when I sold my '76 Cordoba due to some space limitations
CordobaIMAG0202-1-1_zpsd0fa0b37.jpg

I've done some lurking here but never posted much, mostly because I didn't have an F,M, or J-body... just fanboy posts like, "Cool car!" and stuff like that.
This weekend I'm going to look at a '78 Lebaron so I thought I'd attempt to breathe some life into my membership.
Nice car, no rust, good interior, 318/904, and it's priced under $2k.
Normal people find my fascination with these run-of-the-mill cars strange and misplaced... usually those people drive fwd econo-poopsters or $50,000+ "real" muscle- or classic cars sooo, what do they know... ?
I've wanted one of these cars for literally decades, my Dad drove a slew of em when he was a cop in the 70s, 80s, and 90s (okay, 90s was Caprices) and I've wanted one ever since.
See ya in the forums!
Jonny Y

Justwondering

Reaction score
Jonnyuma --
I'm lusting for a 77 cordoba.
someday I'll find what I'm looking for.

Good luck on the lebaron....

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Jonnyuma --
I'm lusting for a 77 cordoba.
someday I'll find what I'm looking for.

Good luck on the lebaron....
Thanks. I just got off the phone w the owner and I'm more intrigued than before. He told me that the PO had (among other things) replaced the heater core... almost worth the price of admission in itself!

Hopefully you'll find the right Doba. I had my '76 for longer than I've owned any other vehicle... it hurt a bit to sell it.

If I get this thing (Lebaron) I guess I'll have to change my avatar... time to move on, Yuma.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
That '76 was a sweet looking ride though...man, I feel for ya. But hey, stick to it, if time and money permit (maybe eventually?) take a stab at it again...

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
That '76 was a sweet looking ride though...man, I feel for ya. But hey, stick to it, if time and money permit (maybe eventually?) take a stab at it again...
I think we've exchanged posts before... early on when this board was first developed. You're screen name is familiar and you've been here for almost as long as I have so it's possible. My memory never was spectacular and it ain't getting any better...
I definitely remember Dr Lebaron and Capt Caravelle's cars... those two helped draw-out my dormant M-body fanaticism.

Last edited:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Hey!

I think we've exchanged posts before... early on when this board was first developed. You're screen name is familiar ....

I have been on this site for a while now (mostly silent), although my original "home" would be Dippy.org, I used to go by Diplomat360 there (still do on Moparts actually) and then switched to M_Body_Coupe during one of the forum upgrades when we all had to re-do our nicks.

Anyways, hey, don't ever be shy and feel free to just reach-out either through PM or email. I'm happy to help, I sure have been the beneficiary of many folks willing to share their experience over the years, so the least I can do is try keep the "faith" and keep on sharin'...LOL!!!

D

Deleted member 1959

Welcome !
Do post some pics of your Lebaron when you get it ! I have a ´79 with a 318. Unlike you, I have no historical connection with these cars. I like it for its design, rarity (only one in Denmark) and its place in Chrysler history - right at their darkest hour.

IMG_2905.JPG

D

Deleted member 1959

Well they might have been separated at birth (disregarding different model years), but mine spent its life in Washington State until it was sold from a classic car dealer in Idaho 2015 to the Danish guy I bought it from.
What are the small chrome knobs on top of the fenders on yours ? - And can we have more pictures please :)

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Well they might have been separated at birth (disregarding different model years), but mine spent its life in Washington State until it was sold from a classic car dealer in Idaho 2015 to the Danish guy I bought it from.
What are the small chrome knobs on top of the fenders on yours ? - And can we have more pictures please :)
Both 79s, I misspoke in my OP. I don't know where mine was sold first, but I bought it in Portland, OR... very likely it was originally sold in western WA, OR, or southern ID. MT, northeastern WA, or northern ID is less likely cuz... no rust.
My car has the fender top turn signal indicators. I thought they were standard equipment until you mentioned it. I guess they were optional, or maybe it's a Canada/US thing... ? Usually they'd be one of the first geegaws to get shaved/filled, but they work and I'm kinda diggin' em so they'll probably stay.
This car is much nicer and functional than my usual beaters...

D

Deleted member 1959

Both 79s - cool. Then we can compare details. Mine was made 3rd of dec. Found the build sheet in the trunk.
Funny detail with the indicators. I have never seen that on a car, so I guess not many buyers chose this option.
Does your still have the SCC computer ? I had to rip all the electronic anti-pollution stuff out because it kept stalling at random when I was driving along. I kept the air cleaner with the SCC still attached, but now not connected, so at first glance it looks original.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Does your still have the SCC computer ?
The PO converted it to HEI, a big plus for me because it saved me the expense and hassle of doing it. The air cleaner is still there but I'll be replacing that before too long... just need to rationalize a present to myself. Too bad President's Day has already passed...
I haven't dug around for the build sheet yet. But since the seats have been reupholstered, I doubt it's still under the rear. I may be able to pull some info from the VIN and/or fender tag.
one has the lighted corning lights.
Is that...
2018-04-13 06.28.14.jpg

I haven't been outside the car w the turn signal(s) going so I've never noticed when (or whether) those lenses light up...
I've always liked that green car, and your picture helps answer a question for me... I can see the outline of the big quarter-glass through your vinyl (sorry, don't mean to be rude about it)... have you had that top replaced? I started a thread about it (What's Under All That Vinyl?) because I'd really like to know what's under there and if a conversion is possible. I could just tear it off to find out for myself, but it's in nice shape and I'm not ready to do anything about it yet.
Or I could remove the sail panel and trim from the interior and get a look at it that way... uuugh.
Some say there's a filler panel to make the opening smaller. Some have suggested there might be a full-sized window under there... what say you, sir?

Last edited:
Back