Fitting 360 in to a J Body

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

In need of some help.

Ok first of all the moapr performance valve covers hit the brake booster, what can I do here? (really like the mopar performance look) Is there an alternative brake booster?

Second the I bought some summit headers SUM-G9040 and I can't see how they fit, someone on here said they fit, can I make them fit? http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g9040/overview/

Third I had a friend help me and he has gone home and I can't work out where the trans supports go anyone have a photo to help me out. see pic, its the 2 different length braces.

4th with the carb sitting on the intake with the mopar performance air intake the plate hits that sound deading stuff on the hood. That's with out a wing nut on.

Thanks
Bruce

IMG_20160305_162103.jpg

IMG_20160305_162117.jpg

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
First, the driver side header requires the center link for the steering has to be disconnected so it can be passed through the header. This is the same as most headers for mopars, other than Doug's 453, TTI, and one set of Hooker Super Competitions.

Second, Mopar Performance cast valve covers. I dented the locking flange of the brake booster. A dual booster from a mid 80s front drive mopar may work, they use versions of the aluminum two bolt master cylinder, and the same pedal linkage, but I don't know about the firewall bolt pattern ( my 87 Shadow ES turbo had the 1" version in it)

Third, the trans braces. They attach to two large threaded holes on the lower bell housing, they will attach to bosses above the oil pan, the flatter one goes behind the starter, I remember it having a funky shape at the end that goes to the block.

Fourth, the air cleaner. You could try trimming away the sound deadener pad, cutting an over sized circle in it, or completely removing it. Be careful not to have to long of a stud, it screws up the hood instantly.

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the photo, but if that's a carb spacer, you could remove or shave it, and also you can try to find a drop base to your air cleaner to lower the overall height of your air cleaner assembly...or find an air cleaner element that is a little thinner than the one in the photo.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Most people don't reuse the block to trans supports as they sometimes interfere with headers.
As 80Mirada stated the Hooker headers don't require you to drop suspension components for install. Those are the Super Competition headers #5115 they fit well.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Since I live in NZ I don't have the option to go and buy headers like you guys do, the speed shops here carry some mopar stuff but just to give you an example headers to fit a B body are about $1000. I had a pallet load of parts shipped to me to save on price and I had one shot to get it right, I was told/read on here the summit SUM-G9040 would fit, no one mention any other brands so I got some of them. I will split the ball joint at the wheel and try and push them up from the bottom.

80mirada - do you have a photo of your modified brake booster?

High Speed - I don't have any spacer. I would like to run one, will look into a drop base.

The engine bay in these J bodies seems tighter than a A body :)

Thanks
Bruce

80mirada

Reaction score
You need to disconnect the pitman arm, and inner tie rod end. As for a pic of my booster, the only ones i have are way to grainy to see the "Mod". My car and parts are about 900 miles away, and it has been at least 10 years since I even looked at the booster, I used a hammer and block of wood to flatten the raised flange around the outside of the booster, but only where it rest on the valve cover, from about the 7 to the 8 o'clock position. Looking at my grainy pictures, I think you might be best off to file or grind the mounting holes for the booster. A round bastard file, or better yet a die grinder with a burr or grinding stone would make quick work of it, 1/8" 45 degrees up and to the driver side. there is enough flex in the coiled brake lines to pull the master cylinder forward and remove the booster (the linkage is held together by an odd spring clip) there are four nuts that hold the booster in.

wvdodgemirada

Reaction score
Ran into a similar issue with Mopar valve cover hitting the brake booster. My solution was shaving the fin that was hitting all the way down for about an inch or two. It then cleared and with it being back by the brake booster you cant even see it.

Back