FOR SALE/TRADE: FMJ Gas tank - Cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Contact seller
I know it's a long shot that anyone will want this that is actually near me, but here goes anyway, because I have too much stuff in my way.

No shipping. Period.

Northern suburbs of Milwaukee, WI.

Stock gas tank out of my '83 Mirada, sending unit still in place, with mounting straps. I think it will fit in other FMJ cars, but I don't know all those details, do your research. Pulled from my Mirada project that was running not long before I got it. I'd still clean it out before using it, but your call. It's out of the car, there's still some gas in it, but of course I can drain it before you take it.

I didn't even brush the top off... it's a bit dirty. I never really took a picture of the bottom, but here's one you can sort of see it. It's very nice and clean underneath, just like the rest of the car is. Was a Texas car until 2009, and more off the road than on since.

Anyway... I think I have to post a price? If so, I'd say a good six pack of beer (I don't drink junk beer, example, if it has Lite or any other misspelling in the name, I won't drink it, but otherwise, I'm not too picky about what style), or some little Mopar part I can maybe use would do. Possibly even a good old Mopar story would be enough. Whatever. Just get this thing out of my way!

IMG_20140823_165131.jpg

IMG_20140823_165141.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_20140823_165131.jpg

IMG_20140823_165141.jpg

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
This is a global forum and many of us FMJ fans are working stiffs...GLWS

I'm not sure what this means. Are you criticizing my not wanting to ship an extremely large item that isn't even worth what it would cost to ship it? Not to mention that it would be a challenge to get it toxic-free enough that it would even be legal to ship? Isn't that my right to make that decision? And, for what it's worth, I've shipped hundreds of car parts in the past, it's not like I'm not willing to ship things normally, but this would just be more of a PITA than it's worth. This isn't a rare part, and I'm willing to practically give it away. OK, let's face it... read what I said, I *AM* willing to give it away. Isn't that good enough?

You do realize that you can buy a brand spanking new Spectra Premium tank for not much more than what it would cost to ship this, then clean it out, right?

Is this something you need? Do you have any skin in the game?

Last edited:

lowbudget

Reaction score
Not that I have one but isn't this the tank a guy would want to convert his Imperial POS EFI car to carb? I thought I had read that somewhere but I'm at that age.......

72Dodge

Reaction score
Not that I have one but isn't this the tank a guy would want to convert his Imperial POS EFI car to carb? I thought I had read that somewhere but I'm at that age.......

Sorry, I can't help with that, I don't know. That does make a lot of sense to me, but I don't know.

Again, for anyone wanting this, a replacement of this exact tank is available pretty inexpensively from Spectra Premium, as is the sending unit (I believe). I put a Spectra Premium tank in my Dart a few years ago and it was extremely well made and I could not tell the difference between the new one and the original (other than the dirt/age of course). If I end up scrapping this, I wouldn't chuck the filler tube or other small bits, but otherwise, this isn't anything made of unobtanium. Just thought if someone was nearby and wanted it, I could maybe help someone.

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
You probably know better than me about shipping gas tanks. I have had some shipped, & then at other times, the seller claimed that the shippers refused to ship the tank (experienced both new & used tank shipping{believe the sellers either told the shippers or omitted}).

I think I have bought the spectra tank in the past (I think I paid $20 plus shipping) but it doesn't come with a filler neck, float level, straps, gas cap, etc. I have had problems before with the filler neck install leaking/smelling-like-gas from the fuel tank in a dodge truck I owned. If you go to the junk yard, they puncture the fuel tank first thing. I have yet to see a new filler neck, and the gasket that seals inbetween I do not remember coming across.

It seems like a shot in the dark that someone would be near by (driving distance) and need the fuel tank vice shipping it to everyone that peruses the sale ad.
I think this tank would be a great score for the person that can't buy/find the 1976/early1977 F-body float sending unit with the discontinued, short-run-rare fuel tank. (You have to change the trunk floor pan as well.) -this is something that I have had to search and pay for.

My appologies for pissing you off.

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah maybe a long shot as I said in my first line. On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of fmj guys in this area so you never know. You didn't really piss me off, I was just confounded that someone could seemingly criticize someone trying to give something away. And either way, it is 100% my choice if I want to ship a certain item or not, to be blunt. Even more, for sale post commentary is even against the site rules. :)

But, no harm no foul, brother, not a big deal. If for whatever worst case reason I had to scrap something like this, I definitely would not chuck the small bits with it, because yes, those do not come with the new tanks.

Another hot tip for stuff like this is to see if a local parts store can get it. Lots of them carry the spectra products. May be a few bucks more than rockauto, but if you can skip the shipping costs, it could be money ahead. I got my tank from I think it was advance, for that reason.

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that if anything, I just don't want anyone to view me as some sort of a selfish a-hole who won't help another Mopar (or any) guy out. It's the farthest thing from the truth. I've given all sorts of stuff away to someone who needs it, if I have it.

Hope everyone is cool now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back