Frank Sinatra Imperial commercial

ramenth

Reaction score
I had a customer wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back when I worked at a detail shop who had one of these.

When he bought the car it was missing the special collection 8 track tapes of Ol' Blue Eyes you got with the car. He hunted the country and scored the case and the tapes from different owners.

For your viewing pleasure:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSsUcP13j6E"]YouTube - 1980 chrysler imperial Commerical[/ame]

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
What's sad is I've turned these cars down about 5 times in the past- 2 were kinda dogged out, but the other 3 were in good shape. The one I considered the most even had a sunroof, but alas I even had to turn that one down (in school).

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Is it a J or is it a Y

Robert,

Allpar even confused themselves...try to make heads or tale out of this...

1981-1983 body codes

This Imperial was a J-body, the same as the Cordoba and Mirada, but the carline was Y, standing for Imperial in the VIN (Y was used instead of I because an I can be confused with a 1). Gil Cunningham of the Chrysler 300 Club wrote that “As far back as October 5, 1978 the Y carline was included in the J body area of the [internal Chrysler] Model Chart. The name Imperial was added sometime between January 25 and September 10, 1980.”
The 1981 service manual confused the issue somewhat by listing the Y as a separate body from the J (Mirada-X, Cordoba-S). If the service manual was correct, the Y-line Imperial was given a Y-body designation in 1981-83.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Someone just scored this one off of e-bay

!!hC,UnQB2E~$(KGrHqF,!l0Ez+wrKU(qBNR(PtQBdg~~_4.jpg

$4,508.16
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981...1?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a62cfb40d#v4-36

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA6tMswtQAc"]YouTube - 1981 CHRYSLER IMPERIAL FRANK SINATRA EDITION SUPER LOW MILES[/ame]

ramenth

Reaction score
Robert,

Allpar even confused themselves...try to make heads or tale out of this...

1981-1983 body codes

This Imperial was a J-body, the same as the Cordoba and Mirada, but the carline was Y, standing for Imperial in the VIN (Y was used instead of I because an I can be confused with a 1). Gil Cunningham of the Chrysler 300 Club wrote that “As far back as October 5, 1978 the Y carline was included in the J body area of the [internal Chrysler] Model Chart. The name Imperial was added sometime between January 25 and September 10, 1980.”
The 1981 service manual confused the issue somewhat by listing the Y as a separate body from the J (Mirada-X, Cordoba-S). If the service manual was correct, the Y-line Imperial was given a Y-body designation in 1981-83.

I think some of the confusion rests with the designation line. Technically, yes, it's a "Y" because of the separate designation from the J line. I would say, though, that given the nature of the forum, the build platform, and shared parts, it won't hurt one bit to discuss it along with the J platform.

Dago Red

Reaction score
More The Merrier

I've always wanted to do a pro street Imperial: New Gen Hemi, 6-speed auto, bazillion speaker Infinity, tubs, 250 shot.................:eusa_shhh:

WildCat

Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a pro street Imperial: New Gen Hemi, 6-speed auto, bazillion speaker Infinity, tubs, 250 shot.................:eusa_shhh:

have I got the car for you

82Imperial.jpg

31,000 miles good body, guess has not run since 1995 (last time plated) here in classifieds

82Imperial.jpg

Dago Red

Reaction score
That Old Sinking Feeling

You're killin' me Cat!!!!

You're flat out, double throw down, killin' me.:icon_hang:

al zangenberg

Reaction score
I know of a 1983 Imperial, with a 318 was EFI now Thermoquad, that runs a legal N.H.R.A. class. Car has to weigh a certain am't in order to be class legal. It does, & is a legal stocker! It was gold, now black. 5:18 gears, 8-3/4 rear, & runs in the high 13's (Yes...that is correct!!!), 904 trans, has all the factory Imperial A/C, except for the condenser. Original owner too! Gold leather interior. radio intact, etc. Car has slicks, & has a beautiful body. Needs front seats redone.

He is a Mopar guy, & still has a 1978 full sized Plymouth Wagon (318/auto) that was an NHRA record holder for 6 years. IIRC, the car ran T/SA, & he won the Gatornationals with this wagon in 1984. Back then the car ran 14:14's all day, to take the trophy, money, & contingency awards. His wagon weighs approx. 4500 lbs IIRC. Runs in the mid 13's. If interested in his Imperial, private message me. The car is in central Florida. It is not advertized for sale, but was offered to me, as I expressed interest in it. I have known the owner since 1982, & he is a great guy! I have only known him to have Mopars, & I can't recall many that he hasn't owned.

He also has a built 440, & 727 for the Imperial, as the 318 in it has special rings, not condusive to street driving...clearances are loose! A driveshaft will have to be cut to accomodate the 904-to-727 conversion in the Imperial. He races the car regularly, as does his son, intermittently along with his '78 Fury wagon.

Price would be in the $8500 range, or close to that. Either engine/tranny combo. It is "ready-to-race" with the 318.
Funny to hear him tell of guys at the drags asking him: "Is this a Cadillac Eldorado???"Or, "WTH IS THAT THING???!!!" lol
I just sold my '64 Fury 2-dr H.T. drag car, & came close to buying the Imperial. But, I'm looking for an '81-83 Dodge Mirada, or same year Chrysler Cordoba.
Thanks,
AL :)

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
There's a lot of confusion between "Car Line" and "Body Designation." There were 3 car lines built on the 1980 to 1983 J Body: The Y Line, the X Line, and the S Line. (A.K.A; Imperial, Mirada, and Cordoba).

Back