Front door hinge repair/replacement.

Duke5A

Reaction score
A buddy of mine made a pin for me on his lathe out of a grade 8 bolt. Been in the car for ten years or longer now. Something to consider.

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Seems all right to me the kit but the price may be a bit too high. Of course dead easy to make new bolts for me with a lathe in Unbraco quality. Having said that the bushes are a different kettle of fish. I would prefer to make them in Nylatron as that is selflubricating. On one of my old Motorcycles I use them on the linkage from the foot gearchange pedal up to the old Norton gearbox. So far lasted 43 years with no problem. But, and that may be vital: As there may be very little clearances on the door hinge (probably unbushed from the factory) maybe Manganeze bronze may be better? Remember to have them soaked in "Colloidal grafit" oil overnight before fitting.

jd340

Reaction score
Seems all right to me the kit but the price may be a bit too high. Of course dead easy to make new bolts for me with a lathe in Unbraco quality. Having said that the bushes are a different kettle of fish. I would prefer to make them in Nylatron as that is selflubricating. On one of my old Motorcycles I use them on the linkage from the foot gearchange pedal up to the old Norton gearbox. So far lasted 43 years with no problem. But, and that may be vital: As there may be very little clearances on the door hinge (probably unbushed from the factory) maybe Manganeze bronze may be better? Remember to have them soaked in "Colloidal grafit" oil overnight before fitting.
Thank you

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
If you buy them I would very much like to have the measures of the bolts and bushes. I am sure there is an easier and cheaper way to make
them. I have a feeling the bolts may be 3/8" in diameter and bushes may sometimes be standard as used on many other types of utensils

jd340

Reaction score
If you buy them I would very much like to have the measures of the bolts and bushes. I am sure there is an easier and cheaper way to make
them. I have a feeling the bolts may be 3/8" in diameter and bushes may sometimes be standard as used on many other types of utensils
Hi, I did end up buying this kit, measurements as per picture attached. On a side note the bushes are too tight so I'm going to have to ream them a little.

PXL_20230828_054407616.jpg

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Thanks my friend for your drawing. I presume the measures would be better in Inces and take it that the bolt diameter may have been 5/16" as that is slightly smaller than 8 mm. Bushes I may have lying around or at least I have a rod of manganez bronze so no problem. Outside diameter of the bushes may be 10 mm or so and that too is a standard product over here. I will investigate a little more. Reamers I have a lot of so that too ins no problem at att. Use a slight conical one or adjustable and always wind it the same way till you have finished the reaming.
Sorry if I try to teach you something but having been a teacher most of my life does something with me.
Again many many thanks '
Gunnar

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
I have made an intensive search on the Internet today and found these two sets that easily may be converted to suit this car. Set one is the bushes itself but Set 2 is most probably easy to convert. The Pin is more than long enough to be used and cut to the correct lenght. A Die to cut threads and two nuts should to the trick or a Segerring/stopring to secure the bolt in the hinge. Maybe you shall have to bore up larger holes in both hinges. Well, a solution worth trying for some of us.

Dorpin and bushes 1.jpg

Dorpin and bushes 2.jpg

jd340

Reaction score
I have made an intensive search on the Internet today and found these two sets that easily may be converted to suit this car. Set one is the bushes itself but Set 2 is most probably easy to convert. The Pin is more than long enough to be used and cut to the correct lenght. A Die to cut threads and two nuts should to the trick or a Segerring/stopring to secure the bolt in the hinge. Maybe you shall have to bore up larger holes in both hinges. Well, a solution worth trying for some of us.

View attachment 50758

View attachment 50759
They are both good finds. I did find these ones (right here in NZ) but it required drilling out the hinges to accept the bushes, which i didn't want to do. And I need to get this repair done before the next Warrant of Fitness (WoF - 6 monthly safety inspections for cars registered before 2000). What year and model is your Diplomat?

Screenshot 2023-08-29 8.16.19 AM.png

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
My is from 1978, produced in November 1977. A rare bird indeed. Only a couple in Norway perhaps. In USA they call it "A rare bird".
I will have a look at your picture and check it out.
Thanks my friend.
Gunnar

Back