Front Speakers

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to replace both of my dash speakers.

A few of them has been purchased off of eBay with mixed results (bad, or same condition my old speakers are in) and even purchased 4 from a pull-a-part close to me not long ago (3 of 4 were bad).

Holes will not be cut in door panels nor anywhere else, except maybe possibly to make the dash holes slightly bigger if needed.

I mostly listen to AM – so sound quality doesn’t need to high - just as long I don’t get buzzing, rattling and/or “nuttin”.

Has anyone found a good source for speakers for new (or maybe rebuilt)?
(or anyone NOT to call)?

Finding used speakers has gotten me nowhere and good luck finding NOx (sic).

My ’86 5th Ave is a 4 speaker car (my main driver). The two Volare’s are single speaker cars, but will be converted to 4 speakers when time comes (and one of them is blown, as well).

BudW

20160322_191627.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Here's a great thread on replacing your Fifth Ave speakers.

6 X 9 speaker install in the rear parcel shelf

I wouldn't even waste my time with used. The paper cones will never be any good.

That threads explains everything including being aware that the magnets in the 3.5" ones in the front have to be shallow enough.

As far as the Volare's they are 4x10's.
I'll dig up the link I have for new full range replacements.
--- Post updated ---
I'm pretty sure these are the winners. But any good 4x10 will work.

RetroSound D-412UK Dash Speaker

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't worried about the rear speakers, yet. Just the front ones.

There are a pair of the sheet metal top dash tops for dual speakers, for the Volares, in my garage already.

I made a dual 3-1/2" speaker adapter to replace the 4x10 in my '67 Satellite (about 30 years ago) and still have the adapter in my garage - but wasn't planning on going that route.

I've been a member of dippy.org longer than I've been here.

BudW

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Just curious, what all was entailed to pull the dash off to get to those speakers. I have a center 4x10, going to swap out with 2 3.5" Pioneers in an adapter. Looking at the car today, I wasn't sure how to get to that speaker :eek: any help much appreciated.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
-Remove instrument bezel
-Remove 4 screws in defroster vents
-There are 2, or three screws that attach the dash pad to the instrument carrier that need to be removed.
-There are like 4 screws below the glove compartment area, above the knee bolster that have to come out.
- Lift out glove box, dash pad, and metal dashboard as a single unit.
-Disconnect clock, trunk release, glove compartment lamp, and map lamp wiring as required for your option set.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Once you have the 4x10 speaker out, trace it on some sheet steel (or plastic) and cut out using tin snips (or whatever).
Then cut a pair of round holes in it and bolt speakers into that.
I would recommend painting your newly fab’ed bracket black so it doesn’t show via the top plate speaker grate).

The top plate fits all F & M bodies (not sure about J’s) so a person might be able to find a stereo top plate the same color (or paint one to match) fairly easily – if one wanted to go that route.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
No such thing existed when I made mine, 30+ years ago.
I have a suspicion that GM bracket won’t fit – but been a while sense I’ve seen one of ours to verify.

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Not saying it won’t fit.
My memory "thinks" the GM shape is wrong to fit (based off of the picture in your link) – but I don’t trust my (visual) memory that well.

I have the dash top off of 5th and will take a picture with measurements – when I get home (if I remember).

Back