Front wheel bearings

Bluejeansthe5th

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has insights in removing the races on the front hubs of an 87 Fifth. I had to beat the outer race out. The inner race fits flush with the hub, no lip to catch a drift on. Been trying a few other things, but it does not seem to move and I am chewing up the hub. Just wondering if there was some special tool. I don't even see wheel bearing mentioned in the 87 FSM. I guess too routine. Thanks for any help/

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
A lot of the more modern rotors have races without any way to remove them. I guess they just assume people would rather have new races pre installed on their rotors.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
Usually there is a small notch on either side to get a drift on, I usually used a 3/8 drive extension.

Camtron

Reaction score
Lotta heat around the out side of the rotor, try to get it to expand and let the race free (hopefully before the race warms up and starts expanding)
If you have access to a welder, if you run a bead around center of the race (where the bearings contact) when the weld cools off, it will shrink the race and let it fall out.

Bluejeansthe5th

Reaction score
Just to button this thread up. I resorted to cutting at the race with a Dremel like tool till I could split it and pry it out. This was a Timken set that I removed and replaced with same. No tabs on the inner race. The FSM was no help. I could see no simple way to remove that inner race. I was wondering if the many Technicians on this site had experience with this issue. At least with all the hassle the noise is gone. I am back to loving my Fifth. Thanks for the advise.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Not sure what was going on with your car but the front wheel bearing races on my car had enough of a lip inside to bang them out with a brass punch.

Back