Fuel sending unit

Deano

Reaction score
I have looked everywhere trying to find a new fuel sending unit and I can't find one! Don't really want to trust Ebay on this. Where can I get my grubby hands on one?

From what Chrysler product can I order for that will bolt in and work the way it's supposed to?

I can find tanks and straps damn near anywhere.

dm330

Reaction score
Spectra Premium and Dorman make sending units. I'll know in the near future how well the Spectra Premium brand holds up.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Spectra premium is usually pretty good.
I have to resort to the ebay ones for one of my cars so fingers crossed they work ok and last a while.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can get one from Advance Auto, Napa, Summit, Rock Auto, etc. At least in theory if they aren't "currently out of stock", which seems to be a common problem lately.

Deano

Reaction score
All the searches end up with mechanical and electric fuel pumps, locking rings, and so on and so forth. Everything I already have or not looking for in the first place. Seeing that I"ll probably never find one in this lifetime, I'm going to disconnect both ends of the fuel line (return and supply) and blow it out with compressed air.

Is it possible to take the sock off and maybe soak it in degreaser or maybe just blow it out too?

I'm wanting to do a little extra to get the fuel system to where it won't be a liability on down the road. You know. On down the road.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Did you search for "fuel tank sending unit"?

The sock is just pressed on the pickup tube and pulls off.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You can get replacement socks. You can replace the lines in the sender too if worst case they're rusted out. I think it might have been Dulcich years ago that put bigger lines in a sending unit on one car for more flow. Which shouldn't be needed in any of our cars.

Deano

Reaction score
Did you search for "fuel tank sending unit"?

The sock is just pressed on the pickup tube and pulls off.
I've searched it more times than I can count, hoping that a company or somebody would all the sudden have one in stock.

So, it doesn't have to be for a certain make, model, or shape, just as long as it fits and strains the fuel?

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've been using my phone for internet (my home internet SUCKS) and the signatures don't appear for whatever reason.

Reason I was wondering is if the senders changed at some point after 1980. No idea if they did or not.

Deano

Reaction score
I've been using my phone for internet (my home internet SUCKS) and the signatures don't appear for whatever reason.

Reason I was wondering is if the senders changed at some point after 1980. No idea if they did or not.
Okay. I didn't know.

I have heard something about before or after April 1979. Not sure if it's a change in the configuration or maybe change from top mount to side mount.

I have found sending units for 1977-80 Volare and Aspen. Here's hoping that they are interchangable.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The before or after is for the tank. After has a plastic roll over vent valve in the top of the tank. Before has the vent hose on a nipple soldered to the tank, with the roll over vent valve near the right front frame rail. Only difference on 77-80 sender is if it's 49 state or California.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Spectra premium lists their sending unit for 1980+ but the same lock ring kit going back older so unless something in the tank makes the sending units not work they should be usable.

Deano

Reaction score
I have a new tank and straps, so I was hoping to install a new sending unit as well. The company that has them is Jim's Auto Parts . They seem to be a Mopar only restoration shop. Maybe someone else on the boards can find something useful.

Back