Fuel tank senfing unit

furyfrank

Reaction score
The gas gauge on my 81 Lebaron stopped working, I checked out the gauges by jumpering the temp sending unit and it moved so I am saying that the gauges are good. I think it is the gas tank sending unit. Do you have to remove the tank to replace it ? Also before I do that I was going to ground out the unit at the gas tank to see if I get movement. The car has been sitting and one day it worked and the next it did not. Any ideas ?

NoCar340

Reaction score
Check your ground strap from the body to the sender first. It's just a funky piece of stamped metal that clamps around the fuel line on either end, and is very often missing. Sometimes it fails the gauge, but not always. If memory serves, the wire for the gauge travels into the trunk; you could probe the wire there with an alligator clip on a solid ground and look through the back glass to see if the needle pegs. That would help narrow down where your problem lies, between the gauge and the trunk or further beyond the trunk, without dropping the tank.

furyfrank

Reaction score
Here is one you will not believe, as I said earier the gas gauge stopped working well today I decided to try putting some gas from a can. I poured about a gallon and 1/2 in the tank and started the car and the gauge read 3/4 tank like it did before. Has anyone ever had this happen ?

Back