Gas Mileage on a Run

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
on my comment about the awful mileage. i soon after found out i had a leaking gas line near the passenger side wheel well. its way better now. i really was confused as to where the gas was going. couldn't see the leak as it was on the passenger side

IMG_20200707_142052979.jpg

The Director

Reaction score
Ouch. Good to hear that the problem is fixed. I'm curious what your mileage will be looking like now, since that's not a problem anymore.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Had the same hose go on my 80 Aspen many years ago.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
if i had to estimate i'd say 20 to 22 but most of my driving is very short distance so i can't say for sure. dude at the shop said it had been replaced before but with the wrong kind of hose. road salt gets to these too i think

picklesgarage

Reaction score
i got 13.7 mpg on my last fill up. there was probably a week or two where it was just moving it in and out of work so hoping with this tank being real driving i will see at least that good if not better. car is currently set up with the factory carb and the lean burn deleted, still has the restrictive factory exhaust and crappy 2.22/24 gears. mostly has just been drivin around town, so mostly 40 to 50 mph.

MoparDan

Reaction score
i got 13.7 mpg on my last fill up. there was probably a week or two where it was just moving it in and out of work so hoping with this tank being real driving i will see at least that good if not better. car is currently set up with the factory carb and the lean burn deleted, still has the restrictive factory exhaust and crappy 2.22/24 gears. mostly has just been drivin around town, so mostly 40 to 50 mph.
I'm averaging about 15 or 16 mpg right now: pretty much all around town a lot stop and go traffic and lights, stock lean burn, carb, exhaust ect. the engine keeps stalling and the alinement is not good, so I can't complain. I switched to non-ethanol gas which sees to have brought the mileage up a little

MoparDan

Reaction score
16mpg in town with a bad alignment even!? Good lord, thats sweet!
...and at one time she'd get high 20s all day long on the highway, maybe its because she's a factory no-a/c car and a little lighter? She always seemed to get a little better mileage then the Dippy SE she replaced which had a/c not to mention every available option (other then alloy wheels) where as The Cherry Bomb came with little more then duel mirrors, tilt steering, and AM/FM so maybe that made her lighter too?

picklesgarage

Reaction score
MoparDan, I'm sure i could do better if i make a few adjustments. i'd like to say that its just cause of all the hills and elevation but i get in the 20s with my 93 3.3 grand voyager consistently. might help if i say out of the throttle a bit more is probably the truth of it

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I'm getting 15-19mpg but I need to do some final adjustments to the carb. In the distant past a previous 5th managed to routinely get 23mpg combined highway and city mileage.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
ever found out what stalls your car @MoparDan ? My Fury has the same options and still runs on factory LeanBurn though i believe the previous owner replaced the carb. car loves to sputter and stall and make a weird clicking noise

bbeep79

Reaction score
I have a ‘79 road runner, 318, Thermoquad, with the Spark Control Computer, and 2:40 gears. I bought this car new, and still own it. If I keep it under 70 mph, so it’s only running on the small primaries, on the highway I can always get 20 mpg on long trips, even managed 23 mpg a couple times on a trip through Kentucky and Tennessee years ago. Keeping things maintained and tuned does wonders,

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
About 2 years ago, I made a trip from Florida to Pigeon Forge Tn. Roughly 5 hours on I 75 at about 70 mph. Rest of the trip using state and local roads, some of which were two lane and 30-35 mph limit through the state/national park/mountains. Total round trip mileage about 1100 miles. Averaged just a tick over 24 mpg, and in the low speed areas didn't even get to converter lockup for several miles, at a time. In around town driving get about 16-18 mpg. Combined driving from home to town, and around town, 19-20. Fillup yesterday was 20.1 mpg (292 miles). Vehicle is a 88 Diplomat 318 cid. bought new and has 132,000 on the clock. Several years ago, I disconnected the lean burn, and replaced the distributer and carb, with earlier models (can't remember the original application), using a GM HEI module and coil. I have a O2 senser, and have rejetted the carb, and recurved the distributor.

Back