Gask tank move for dual exhaust

Duke5A

Reaction score
@DCAspen

Can't attach photos in PM, so here is a post. Moving a tank over for exhaust pipe clearance is easy as long as you have the tank without a vent in the top. There were two types and I'm unsure of when they changed over.

The early types has tanks with flat tops that were vented through the gas cap, and the later ones have vents in the top. The later vented models have a hump on the top that fits into a pocket in the trunk floor. The pocket has to be widened if you want to move the later style tank. The earlier should shove right over.

The fuel lines should be long enough seeing as how you're moving the sending unit closer to the steel fuel lines. Even if you need to do anything with the rubber lines it's easy enough.

The filler neck needs to be lengthened. This is easy. Just slice it in half and sleeve it. Fuel filler tubes can be hose and they sell this hose by the foot at any autoparts store. 2" in diameter will do it. You should be able to see the difference in dirt and whatnot on the filler tube to know how far it has to move to be at the orginal depth in the tank.

This will give you the clearance you need to run 2.5" exhaust down both sides of the gas tank and not hit the springs. Clears a rear sway bar too.

PXL_20220620_234840061.jpg
PXL_20220620_234933229.jpg
PXL_20220620_234854767.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Build date 04/02/79 and later have the vent valve in the top of the tank.

Do the old tanks swap over and are they still available? I beet the shit out of my trunk floor to enlarge that pocket and regret it. Did it in my early 20's. Was pretty stupid.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
The reproduction tanks all have the bulge on top. I cut the bulge off and had a patch welded over the hole. Then I relocated the vent near the filler tube.

20200728_115455.jpg

20200427_112516.jpg

Back