Getting in Touch with Dave the TQ expert at Demonsizller

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried to send off an email to Dave at Demonsizzler (address: Demonsizzler1@cswebmail.com) and I am getting this as a bounce back message:

Technical details of temporary failure:
DNS Error: Domain name not found

Does anybody know of a valid email address for Dave the TQ expert? I want to contact him regarding the rebuilding and setup of a couple of TQs.

Kostas

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Both carbs need to have vacuum ports added to allow use of a distributor with vacuum advance (so I can get rid of the ESA ignitions). As well, the carbs seem to be running rich, which I can assume means that the nitrophyl floats have either absorbed fuel (possibly due to ethanol/gasoline mix), and the other soft parts (gaskets, seals, etc.) are probably due for replacement (carbs are 30+ years of age, after all). While I could possibly disassemble/replace gaskets/reassemble the carbs, I have NO background in tuning carbs, and do not have the feeling that I could do that reasonably well enough to have the cars run well afterwards. I am learning my way around cars as I go along, but its too early in my learning curve to attempt this right now. Sorry to disappoint, or to admit my limitations, but that is the truth.

I am looking to have the carbs rebuilt with all new, ethanol resistant soft parts, have the needles/seats cleaned off, a vacuum port added, floats changed over to brass, and a good, basic tune done that will allow the car to be street driven reasonably well.

Kostas

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Ramenth:

I followed the links that you posted to some of the For A Bodies Only web site, and it looks like Dave at demonsizzler is no longer doing the TQ rebuilds, and neither is Rob/RustryRatRod (although I have learned a lot from Rob in the emails we have been exchanging; seems like a really nice guy(. I have sent an email to Scott at Harms Auto regarding this as well. Thanks for posting the links.

Kostas

ramenth

Reaction score
You're welcome.

I don't know what Dave's been up to, except the fact it seems to be hit or miss on if he's rebuilding or not. I know he used to be the go to guy with TQ's but after Dave Moore's post in the link it may not be so. I know Dave Moore and he's a stand up guy and wouldn't say anything negative unless it was true.

As you can Scott's been highly recommended and comes with some good endorsements. Glad I could help.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
At this point, I must admit that I am starting to re-think my whole strategy regarding the rebuilding and use of the original TQs. With only Harm Auto as a possibility for a knowledgeable rebuild, and based on the advice of Rob/Rusty Rat Rod, I may forego the use of the TQs, and just get a couple of Street Demon carbs. I would be getting a new carb, not a rebuilt older one, and the Street Demon seems to use a lot of the principles of the TQ (phenolic body (optional), vacuum operated secondaries, small primaries, and the 3 piece "sandwich" type construction). I don't have the background to determine if the "Goggle Valve Secondary" actually has any real advantages over regular round secondaries, but as long as it works properly, I won't get too concerned about it either way.

Has anybody used one of these yet, or know of anybody who has used one?

Kostas

NoCar340

Reaction score
If the price is pretty similar, there's nothing wrong with the Demon line of carbs. However, I know from personal, dyno-proven experience they are not one whit better than the same-model Holley. I'm not saying anything negative about those carbs whatsoever as they're excellent pieces, but there is literally no improvement or gain to be found in one for what usually turns out to be significant expense over the good old Holley equivalent (unless you really dig the look).

If there's one that suits your needs, I would highly suggest looking into the Summit Street/Strip carburetors. They're nothing more than a mildly-modified Holley 4010/4011, a carb that unfortunately never really caught on. However, they use all the standard Holley tuning parts except the float-bowl gaskets, which is a large, single gasket above the fuel line (hallelujah!). Everything you know about Holleys still applies as tuning is the same process. Obviously, you can't swap out the main body or the throttle body like you can with a Holley or Demon, though. There are less gaskets to leak, no metering blocks, etc. Similar in concept to an AFB from that standpoint, but light-years better than any Edelbrock/Carter AFB from every standpoint.

I had the original Holley version 750 double pumper on my Charger prior to going to the Six Pack setup. That carb was awesome right out of the box. My friend still has a 750VS he put on his stone-stock 340 for a couple of years before returning to the factory carb for originality's sake. He won't sell it and swears it's the best-running out-of-the-box carb he's ever used. It's worth a serious look. If I were in the market for a 4-barrel, I'd be seriously eyeballing the Summit carbs, particularly when you consider what's there for the money.

NoCar340

Reaction score
On a side note, I used to work with Dave (demonsizzler) at Year One. He's a great guy. He's got a very distinctive, low voice; I'll never forget the way he answered the phones: "Thank you for calling Year One... this is Daaayve" with a half-octave drop when he said his name. He's a quality dude, no doubt.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I can't get the Summit carbs in Canada without paying expensive shipping and brokerage fees, by which time, the price difference between the Street Demon bought locally, and the Summit carbs makes me pause. The Summit carb is $259.97, Shipping is $26.45, and Tax and Duty is $18.00 (all in US dollars). This works out to $US305 in round numbers, or about $335-340 Canadian. The Street Demon is $350 locally, and with 5% GST comes out to $368. So the difference comes out to be $33-$28 (Canadian). I will need to think about this some. $32 isn't a huge amount of cash, but I would rather it be in my pocket vs. it not being in my pocket. And I will need at least two of these carbs, whichever I go with.

I don't know Dave (demonsizzler), Dave Moore, Rob/RustyRatRod, or Scott from Harm Auto, having never met them. They are all way too far away to allow me to meet with them face to face, so I can only rely on the experiences of others. I don't have anything against Dave (demonsizzler), I just can't seem to get into contact with him. I don't know Dave Moore either, so his experience may or may not be an indication of what Dave (demonsizzler) is about these days. For all I know, Dave Moore and Dave (demonsizzler) may have some sort of a mis-communication issue that they haven't resolved yet/aren't going to resolve, or it may be a personal issue between them. It doesn't make a difference to me as of the moment, because I can't get in touch with Dave (demonsizzler) anyway, and I won't be taking sides in this situation without knowing a lot more of what went on; I have two people (Ramenth and NoCar340) that I do trust telling me that both Dave (demonsizzler) and Dave Moore are good guys. I take that at face value on the basis of who is saying that, but the point is pretty well moot at this time.

Rob/RustyRatRod is not doing carb rebuilds at this time as per his own emails, although he seems really knowledgeable and willing to pass on that knowledge, and advised that I "shelve" the TQs I own in favour of a TQ that already has a vacuum port, as his experience adding a vacuum port has not been good.

Scott at Harm Auto hasn't gotten back to me yet. At this point, there is no recognized "TQ expert" who is willing to rebuild my carbs, so my orignal idea of having the carbs rebuilt and adding a vacuum port doesn't seem to be possible, which is what got me thinking about the Street Demon.

My thoughts are that for some amount of money over what it would take to get the TQs rebuilt, I can get an all new Street Demon that already has the vacuum port that I want to use with the vacuum advance distributor (to get rid of the ESA ignition), is a spreadbore (sort of) and end up with a carb in which all the parts are new, instead of just what has been replaced during the rebuild. Just writing down some thoughts.

Kostas

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
If you keep watch for awhile, the Summit carb goes on sale a few times a year. In my experience, you'd be ahead of the game with it. As I said, it uses all the same tuning parts as the Demon, but if you look at the features at the same price point the Summit carb is a better unit. Also, having run a lot of carbs "straight out of the box" over the years, that Holley 4010/4011 series I had was hands-down the best of any. My friend agrees with that statement, based on how well his 340 ran and he's built a lot of cars over the years.

You'll know if/when you get Demonsizzler Dave on the phone. His voice is somewhere between Marvin the Martian and Lurch from the Addams Family TV series. :icon_biggrin:

Back