Goofy oem speaker locations?? Wth.

shadango

Reaction score
While we are waiting for the engine rebuild to be done, my son is attempting to install some new pioneer speakers in the rear package tray.

He removed the boards and found the stamped speaker holes don't match.....one is straight and one is at an angle.....

For speakers mounted below the tray , no problem. ....but these are three way speakers that have to mount thru the tray.....if we leave as is one speaker will be straight and one will be like 30 degrees crooked....

Anyone know why this was done in the factory? It's an 80 volare two door...
20160914_185214_zpsu04bw5jj.gif

Aspen500

Reaction score
That is a mystery. Somewhere there was another thread (either here or Aspen and Volare.com) on the same deal. Probably, only the engineer or engineers who designed it would really know. I can think of no reason it was done that way. My '79 is the same way.

One other question is, why the center opening that looks like it's for a speaker, also at an angle. Was there such a thing as a single rear speaker???

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that a rear defogger (forced air design) was an option for these cars. My guess is defogger was more important than sound (me shrugs).

My recommendation is: if you are set on using the “through the package tray” design, is to measure, measure and measure again, then cut a hole in package tray and in metal so both sides match.

I prefer the hidden method (under package tray) so no one will want to “enter” the car to see what else is inside car worth stealing.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Yes a single rear speaker was an option,for a mono radio.Blower motor goes in the drivers side for a rear defogger,Very rare on a 78-80.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
I had the same befuddled reaction when I put my speakers in .. I opted for the below tray install, using the speaker grills to hide my attempts at releasing the sound. I'm not so much into loud .. but do remember when I was. lol

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Rear defogger blower motor actually goes in the center hole. I actually had one of those with the stereo speakers in the outer holes. If you had a car with the single rear speaker it went in the RR (passenger side) hole.

shadango

Reaction score
My son installed the speakers in the existing holes and recovered the package tray while he was at it....turned out great.....the "crooked" left speaker will be a conversation point....LOL

Back