got my Street Fire ignition in the mail today

Monkeyed

Reaction score
IMG_20140414_143739_546.jpg

the ebay claimed it was "New in the box, unopened" arrived with the seals broken, I guess that was why they were selling it cheap?

IMG_20140414_143800_983.jpg

Does look brand new condition.

IMG_20140414_143836_048.jpg

still has the tag on the back. I guess best case someone bought it, opened it, decided they didn't want it, returned it, and the shop couldn't put it back on the shelf?

IMG_20140414_143739_546.jpg

IMG_20140414_143800_983.jpg

IMG_20140414_143836_048.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That would be my guess as well. However, according to eBay policy, this cannot be sold as new unless there is a note regarding the seals were broken. You may not want to do anything about it, if the warranty is still able to be registered to you, considering that you got it so cheap.

Kostas

slant6billy

Reaction score
Tuff call. I sold a B&M shifter recently. It was never used and still in the box. I did open the box and check to make certain all the parts were included. So I did cut the seals on the box and baggies. However, I did state that to the buyer way up front. You have a bit more going on. That is a very critical electronic device. Call MSD and see what they say. Edelbrock took care of me without any questions and I was calling about a second hand new carb. No complaints- Edelbrock mailed me (free of charge) the little screw, shaft and bracket I needed. Give it a try with the warranty.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Fill out the warranty card and send it in or file it online and you should be fine. However, if the seller is not an authorized MSD dealer and you don't have a receipt from one, then you may have issues should a problem arrive. I think your best course of action if that's the case would be to take pictures of the unit, particularly the terminals, any loose wire ends, the case screws and the mounting holes before you do anything with it. Send them to MSD and ask, "Hey, obviously this thing's never been used or opened up so are we good, hombre?" I'm almost certain they will be.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Fill out the warranty card and send it in or file it online and you should be fine. However, if the seller is not an authorized MSD dealer and you don't have a receipt from one, then you may have issues should a problem arrive. I think your best course of action if that's the case would be to take pictures of the unit, particularly the terminals, any loose wire ends, the case screws and the mounting holes before you do anything with it. Send them to MSD and ask, "Hey, obviously this thing's never been used or opened up so are we good, hombre?" I'm almost certain they will be.

I'll try calling MSD and see if I can get an email address. None of the terminals look like they've been hooked up, there was no warrenty card in the box,
IMG_20140415_142456_105.jpg

end of the second line first pararaph under limited warrenty "This warrenty is void for any product purchased through an online auction site", so it may be for nought. I wonder how that applies for items sold at full price buy it now only items from authorized vendors?

As long as it functions properly, I guess it won't matter. If it's defective, someone will most likely let me exchange it. I heard engineers love getting defective parts back, so they can see where it went wrong!

IMG_20140415_142456_105.jpg

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I don't know, it's probably impossible to test it without hooking it up, maybe I should maybe I should just get m money back?

Monkeyed

Reaction score
just looking at this logically, I wouldn't be the least surprised to find out he won an auction for a brand new, open box one for $70-$90 the week before..

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, you're in a bit of a tight spot there. What are the seller's conditions for returns?

Monkeyed

Reaction score
14 days, money back, shipping paid by buyer. I used paypal, so I could start a dispute over it.

don't see muchh chance of my being able to hook it up to anything to test it within the next couple of weeks.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Well, you're in a bit of a tight spot there. What are the seller's conditions for returns?

He replied to my message claiming that he didn't know how it could have been open that it was brand new when he sent it, but that he'd give me a refund if I send it back. That's bullcrap, that thing didn't just break open it's own seals inside of the shipping box. I doubt he'll agree to pay for the return shipping though. May just have to foot that bill and chalk it up to experience.

Is this the Pertronix Ignitor that you were referring to? http://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-1381A-Ignitor-Chrysler-Cylinder/dp/B000JUZJUM I saw a 1361A that was for 6 cylinders, and a 1382A that was for big blocks.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one. It fits all Chrysler V8s with the single-point or electronic ignition (big or small block; the distributor body is the same). The 1382A is for the Prestolite dual-point distributors, which I solemnly assure you is not under the hood of your car. Those bad-boys went dodo in 1968 as far as I know, and are easily distinguished by their cast-iron body.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
do you usually not recommend the Pertronix ii, or does it not much matter?

NoCar340

Reaction score
I've sold literally hundreds of Pertronix units with not one complaint, except "This can't be this easy to install. It's not possible." Yes, it really is. Ignitor, II, III, I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend.

My imp

Reaction score
We used them in a fleet situation. Never a complaint, or failure. That was in International school bus engines that idled for hrs on end, mostly city driving, & were pressure washed to the max twice a year at least to pass state inspection. Damn good unit!

Back