Greetings!

Stonekij31

Reaction score
My name is Josh and I have been rebuilding a 79 Volare duster with a slant 6 for 8 years. The closer I get to done…the harder it seems. I upgraded the cam, carb, intake, exhaust, etc…but I can’t seem to advance the timing enough, the brake pedal won’t match up to the new brake booster and the body panels aren’t going back on very easily. Besides that…it’s a great car. Would love any help I can get. The goal was to drive this for my wedding in a few weeks, but I feel like id need a miracle at this point.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
A 79 Plymouth Volare with the Duster trim package? Cool!

Camtron

Reaction score
What specs on cam, carb, intake, ect? How is it running? If it is, what’s your timing at? Have a link to the brake booster you purchased?
Congratulations on the coming marriage.

Stonekij31

Reaction score
Thanks! I provided the cam specs. It feels like it’s choking out. It’ll start with choke closed, runs for a moment…then slowly dies out. I’ve tried opening the choke, that also kills it. I’ve tried giving it a little gas, backfires a little then gives out. Im going to clean the carb. The carb is an edelbrock 1404 500cfm model. On hold now with comp cams to see what they say. Offenhauser intake, Hooker headers. I need to advance the timing a bit more, but if you’re familiar with the slant six, it only turns so far before removing and adjusting the cap. I also added the specs for the brake booster. I appreciate any help!

7994364D-84A6-49DC-AE1C-015E8D1D21E9.jpeg

10301C31-A9A5-4693-8604-D7C51FE52BB6.jpeg

1D62AA14-2B80-41D9-81B5-AD9DA10DED3B.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
Did it backfire through the carb or the exhaust? Not enough fuel if through the carb, too much fuel if through the exhaust.
I haven’t been around a slant in a long time but, is there a way you’re able to physically re-clock the distributor body back on its shaft so, you’re able to get the clearance needed to rotate it further for, more advance? Want to say there’s an adjustment plate with a screw/bolt that you can loosen and adjust. You may have to pull the distributor to see it. It’s on the bottom side. I feel like that was a thing we had to do on my Moms, Duster.
The brake booster deal, that’s for an A-body. If you can find something specific to/from F/M/J bodies you’ll have it installed in no time. Not sure what it would take to make that all work on the car.

Stonekij31

Reaction score
Backfires from the exhaust, so dial back the fuel on the carb…I’ll pull the distributor, I can also rotate back and not install the bolt and provide myself more room to advance. An “A” body…really? I’ll look for an f body specific model. Summit said that one would fit my car.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Summit said that one would fit my car.
Summit said a Milodon oil pan wouldn't fit my car, I checked with the forum and the forum minds said it would fit.

I would trust the forum over Summit or Jegs any day. The FMJ cars are an abandoned platform that requires hands on knowledge.

We're basically the modern day version of an old Pierce Arrow Club. No one has the parts, we all have to improvise, and owning one of these cars costs more than it's worth.

Stonekij31

Reaction score
Would this one work then? Would I still need the swivel linkage? Or does it connect directly to the pedal?

63263C83-3B3F-407E-8717-38CEBA1ADCDA.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score

Backfires from the exhaust, so dial back the fuel on the carb…I’ll pull the distributor, I can also rotate back and not install the bolt and provide myself more room to advance. An “A” body…really? I’ll look for an f body specific model. Summit said that one would fit my car.
Photo of the bolt/adjustment plate I was thinking of on /6s.

IMG_6306.jpeg

Back