Grille pictures

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about the volare grille.

1. Could someone post a picture of the front of your car with the grille in place.
2. Could I get a picture of the backside of the grille (as best you can) while it is installed in the car?
3. What is the mechanism that looks kinda like a hood latch (sideways) on the backside of the grille?
4. What would improve the design of the grille... problem areas you routinely see?

As a refresher, here are the original pictures from the seller (Know Nothing) on this forum:
IMG_20161105_094435405_HDR - volare grille.jpg

IMG_20161105_094451720_HDR - volare grille.jpg

IMG_20161105_094606037_HDR- volare grille.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
The thumb latch on the driver side that is in the 1st hole on the second from the top row has a short rod to the hood release. What I don't know is if it was in lieu of an under dashboard release cable? None of my F body cars had the thumb release, but I have grabbed grilles that had what was left of them.
IMG_20161119_111912.jpg

There are 3 mounting points per side. There are metal horseshoe brackets that mate the grille to the rad support- those are 2 of the mount points. Then one plastic tab (either side)
IMG_20160807_143741.jpg

Even though the second pic is my aspen grille, the mount is the same. Where the silver wood screw comes up is through the plast tab mounting point.

IMG_20160807_143732.jpg

The center mount

IMG_20160807_143750.jpg
IMG_20161119_111929.jpg

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
The thumb latch on the driver side that is in the 1st hole on the second from the top row has a short rod to the hood release. What I don't know is if it was in lieu of an under dashboard release cable? None of my F body cars had the thumb release, but I have grabbed grilles that had what was left of them.View attachment 18121

There are 3 mounting points per side. There are metal horseshoe brackets that mate the grille to the rad support- those are 2 of the mount points. Then one plastic tab (either side)
View attachment 18122
Even though the second pic is my aspen grille, the mount is the same. Where the silver wood screw comes up is through the plast tab mounting point.

View attachment 18123

The center mount

View attachment 18124 View attachment 18125
The in grille hood release was standard (my car originally came with it) and the under dash release was an option or part of certain option packages.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Tell me what you have the most problems with on breakage.
Just like BudW said, the grille that KnowNothing shipped me got here in 2 pieces instead of 1.

It appears that the area where the light bezel connects to the side of the grille is a very weak.
Also, all along the bottom about every 6 to 8 inches, and across the top were cracks from front to back.

What was the original, non-oxidized color?
IMG_20161105_094451720_HDR - volare grille - with arrows.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If I can remember, I will take a bunch of shots for you once sun is up.

Most of the F-body cars, has a lever sticking out through the grill, to open hood with, and some, as an option, has an inside hood open lever (exact same part as what your 5th Ave has).

What I think is they are made a bit thin, but (IMO) the material they used was way inferior to what they could have used. If a person could find (or make a new one) a mold and recast with a different material – would be the best thing.

If a person could repop these beauties, they would have a lot of business.
BudW

slant6billy

Reaction score
In terms of weak points: The 78 and 79 Plymouth is the weakest, followed by 78/79 Aspen. The 78/79 Plymouth grille will fold in the middle under its own weight. As to why, I built the jig. The ends are heavy- too heavy for the middle. The inner squares- brittle. One hack improvement, build some behind the scenes trusses from right to left. Building up material out of other donor grille pieces. The tuna can with a small amount of acetone in it will serve as a mixer. Add shavings of plastic (even black pvc pipe from the hardware store works). Build up the paste and then add to the grille.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Either Volare or Aspen, the grille's have to be handled as carefully as you would a container full of nitroglycerin. In other words VERY CAREFULLY.
I'm always afraid a a fly will hit the grille in my car while driving down the highway and take a chunk out, and that's not much of an exaggeration.

Justwondering

Reaction score
The grille seems like it is more 'empty space' than structure. It seems as if the designer decided the 'sprue' from the injection mold was going to be the grille and thus is too delicate for normal usage.

What does the grille look like from the other years?
Was it the same style? square marker lights on each side and lots of cut-outs in the center?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I hate to say this about a Mopar but, the bean counters obviously got their hands on the grille's so they were made as cheaply as possible (IMO).

I suppose when a car is built to a price (like F-bodies were), lowering costs has to come from somewhere and, unfortunately, the grille was one of those areas.

Justwondering

Reaction score
So the grille I got managed to get here in 2 pieces.
no surprise there.
It broke where the side light bezel connects to the egg crate grille.

It seems to be (what now is considered) an odd size - 5x5 square.
4x6 assemblies are easily found.

The covering lens is 5x5. So do you think a 4x6 retrofitted into that space would look horrendous?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
pictures?
I'm not sure what you mean by 5x5 or 4x6.
Actually, I do, but not in this case.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Could that be the difference between years and/or Dodge vs. Plymouth?

MBDale

Reaction score
If anyone has a extra thumb release for a 1979 Aspen, I'll take it as I don't have one, I'll need it for my vehicle inspection. Thanks!!

7T8 Custom

Reaction score

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've not tried it, but I think the 78/79 Volare lense will interchange with the 78/79 Aspen lense.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
The 78-79 lenses do interchange. I'm thinking OP has confused availability of the rectangular 76-77 Volare "crosshair" lenses with the later ones which are square. That or the 80 only, which are again, not compatible.

Back