Handheld tach/ vac guage

slant6billy

Reaction score
So my 97 truck has a handheld OBDII tuner. My 79 Volare has one too. It rests nicely on the master cylinder while my left hand hits the idle screws and/or my right hand moves the distributor
100_4103.JPG
100_4104.JPG
100_4105.JPG

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII had a diagnostic connector. Only people that could read codes out of it were the Ford Dealer. That could have very well been OBD 0 or OBD 1.

slant6billy

Reaction score
LOL, OBD II tuner!
Wouldn't the '79 be OBD zero?:D
Zero is my hero. I think GM used those designators like OBO OBOO and so forth. The diagnostic port on the inner fender of my 79 Volare" would connect to what kind of diagnostic tool? Anyone have it? Have a photo?

Aspen500

Reaction score
That diagnostic port is for testing the charging system and stuff like that (I think). My Aspen had one on the left fender well but was not Lean Burn or ESC. Seems to me, in the wiring schematic it's sort of "Teed in" to the voltage regulator circuit, EGR control circuit, etc....
Wonder if there was an actual tool to plug in or you just use the good ol' DVOM?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I think on the assembly line, it was a final (plug in) test before it shipped out.

At dealership – I don’t recall seeing a tool to ”officially” plug into the port.
Now a multimeter will probe it just fine.

80mirada

Reaction score
There was a tester that plugged into the test port. Very rare to see one but one was on eBay about a year ago. Most dealers didn't buy them, only a very few did. They were not very helpful.

Back