Harmonic Balancer Question

dkamp

Reaction score
I was wondering the need to replace a Harmonic Balancer/Damper on a Stock engine?
How do I know "when" to replace it other than the obvious physical damage?
If the rubber has very small cracks, is that a reason?
I'm replacing the Timing chain set now, is that a reason even if no scoring on the seal?
Inquiring mind just got to know. :cool:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Cracks in the exposed rubber aren't really a worry, especially on a stock engine. It's normal. If chunks are missing, then it's not a bad idea to replace it.
Also, if at TDC, the timing mark is off of actual TDC, replace it. Means the outer ring has slipped and eventually could come off at some point in the future.

It's similar to suspension bushings. The exposed rubber may be cracked and look bad, but the rest of the bushing is like new yet.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Mine had the rubber coming out and was replaced with used one when I did the timing chain. It was my daily driver and couldn't spend much time trying to get a new one.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Well, you could certainly test the damper to see if the outter ring has slipped.

Set up your timing chain (I'm talking as in degree it in), get your #1 cylinder to TDC. Toss your chain cover on (temporarily), toss the damper on (just enough to get it mounted and steady) and see whether the damper TDC marking matches what the timing cover shows.

For the most part it's either going to be spot-on, or off.

If it's off, it'd say: buy a replacement!

dkamp

Reaction score
Confirmed the TDC, The Timing mark was at the correct location.
After I got it Off, the Rubber on the Back was cracked quite a bit, but I did notice the Timing Cover Seal left a scoring, so I decided to buy a new Balancer to eliminate a potential leak since I'm also replacing that seal and Chain set.
Thanks for to help.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
FYI - they do make repair sleeves for these, given precisely the sort of scoring you noticed.

Having said that, I suspect that the new/replacement balancer (unless you went all "fancy") costs less than it would cost you to take the sleeve to a garage/machine shop and have it installed on the old balancer.

Back