Headers in volaretouch the brake booster?

Jonesym33

Reaction score
I'm still tightening things down, but it appears that my summit racing headers are touching my brake booster. Anyone seen this issue before? Any remedies?

Thanks,

slant6billy

Reaction score
shot of the drver side engine and booster

I've got more than 4 inch of clearance with manifolds. I measured ramhorn style headers and they would HIT as well. A smaller "compact" style booster would be needed to use with those. I've held off getting headers for these reasons. Passenger side is much worse with the frame rail, firewall, and steering link. I hear that the Doug's headers work the best, but gibson headers have a narrow profile as well. Summit & Jegs have a brief disclamer on their 109 dollar headers that scare me. "Won't work with power steering.......etc" Last I checked, very few F-bodies were non-power steering cars, but I know folks convert them back. Look into getting the smaller booster and you might get around this. I believe the dakota might work or even a front wheel drive K-car may as well.
Good luck.

brake booster F body.jpg

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
I'm still tightening things down, but it appears that my summit racing headers are touching my brake booster. Anyone seen this issue before? Any remedies?

Thanks,

A pic would help, but the v-8 guys can help... Beings its Fathers Day the responses maybe a little slow today...lol

Jonesym33

Reaction score
Fixed that....

As it turns out, tightening in the headers fixed the brake booster clearance issue. Now the starter is rubbing the headers. I'm going to see if I can pick up a Dakota mini starter tomorrow at the junkyard.

For what it's worth, the car does have power steering and that seems to clear, as does the brake booster. The two problems I've had is the transmission cooling lines run right where the headers are supposed to be, and then there's the starter issue.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I can't find the pictures, but I have a good couple of shots of a valiant with a 360 magnum. Small booster, small starter and even the trans lines. Somewhere, the weight saving is about 10 pounds. Add an electric fan and put the battery in the trunk- really getting the extra weight out from under the hood. I'm going the route of small starter and e-fan. Also there is a better belt arrangement for the power steering pump - that moves it forward and also works like an underdrive set up. I can't find that, but other mopar people have done it.

alfatar

Reaction score
I put the cheap headers in my Lebaron and had no fit problems.I did have to undo the steering linkage an pick the motor up to get it in but was not such a big deal.

Mike

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
if u get the smaller one get one from a dodge aries there like 9inches around i figured out they were like a inch -inch and a half smaller

Jonesym33

Reaction score
Well I finally got the car started and running, and the headers seem to clear everything after picking up a '97 dodge ram 5.2 starter. That was the way to go on that. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back