Headers that fit in an F body - any warnings

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK, the question my have been answered many times before, so humor me. My car is a super6 car with an 85 diplomat motor & trans.

I took some measurements inside the enginebay and under the car. It looks like the long tube headers for an F body come real close to hitting non- moveable objects. Passside frame rail is less than 4 inches to the side of the head/ engine. Oil filter with angled bracket is another obstacle. So any body have the fear resolved. The driver side appears clear of the power steering pump, but not the box. What about the the steering links (less than 12 inches down from the head ports) and trans linkage (Auto and stick)? Since I'm eventually stuffing a CLUTCHFLITE in this. Now, a few years back I saw a 70 Belvedere with a 318 have similar header issues. Found out it was a slant 6 car with a hacked in small block.
Will the cheap summit long tubes / jegs long tubes are my safest guess at this point. I was looking to put shorty headers like my SS/T, but those ramhorns stick out way too wide (like 5 inches) from the block. Maybe a non-ramhorn shorty like gibson.

My other thought is to make some custom motor mounts to shift the motor towards the driver side.

I figure someone here has visited these issuse, busted knuckles and tubing any all, so I appreciate any insight.

Back