Heater core replacement

slant6billy

Reaction score
I started the winter time job I promised myself...... the Volare's heater core.

Rock Auto had one for 53 bucks including shipping.

So, I started the tear-down. According to my Chilton's for 1982, The dash has to get pulled out to get it right. So I video doc the full thing and post it within a week.

Any hints, clues, comments, insults, peanuts or foul remarks are welcomed.

Master M

Reaction score
I am looking forward to the video. Don't forget to pressure check the new core. The core whore will visit you when you least expect it !!

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks. I had a set of hose connectors, but as usual can't find them. I was going to hook it to my sink and run hot water through it with the other end closed and then reversed.

slant6billy

Reaction score
It's out
150205-205235.jpg

150205-205235.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
I recommend remove the floor vent piece off the bottom. 2 hex screws on the pass side are upsidedown. Driver side is one screw straight into the side and one upsidedown.

I knocked off some red and blue short vac tubes? and don't see where they went. They are on the box right now.

Found an old mouse nest- I hope it is vacant.

3 hours to get it taken apart and out. Going back in is going to be fun. The floor shift console and green vac lines are in the way. Not to mention the cable for the heater control

My patience is fried, so time to get shut eyed.

Master M

Reaction score
I would plug one end of the heater core tube, and the other end use 14 lbs. of compressed air with the heater core under water. You can take a piece of hose that slips over the tube and clamp it, then take your compressed air blow gun and insert it into the other end of the hose and clamp it. Set your air compressor regulator and watch it for about an hour. Look closely for any trail of bubbles.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Aren't those things so much fun. Not all that bad. Just takes a little time.

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_3197.jpg
100_3198.jpg
100_3199.jpg
If I had any doubt to the heater core being bad- other than the heater hoses being disconnected. Here is my final clue. Nice flakey aluminum dust, green mold, and just a nasty hunk or metal in that heater box. Frosted flakes anyone?

100_3197.jpg

100_3198.jpg

100_3199.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
New core just arrived. So I'm stacked with jobs. The van needs new front shocks. My cousin's turd taurus needs a starter. The Volare needs the back bumper resprayed. I got the bottom bolts loose on the van's shocks. The top of the shocks are stem like an F body/ M body. The top nut is so rusted, I'm breaking out the cut off wheel to make fast work. Not a whole lot of room, but it will take too long to try and hack saw it. This is typical. I'm running my cousin's starter to Autozone to have it tested- just to assure the work is going to be correct in my diagnosis. She can't drop the money until Friday. I need a bigger garage, hit the lottery so I can wrench in the daytime (as in quit my current day job). AND Then put the heater core in and put the dash back together in the Volare. I think that is called a square dance of wrenching?

BHA43

Reaction score
Used to put a deep socket and extension on that top bolt and bend it over back and forth a couple times till it snaps off, might need a vise grip on the shaft. Old flat rate speed trick!

slant6billy

Reaction score
Used to put a deep socket and extension on that top bolt and bend it over back and forth a couple times till it snaps off, might need a vise grip on the shaft. Old flat rate speed trick!

thanks man

Back