Help with part number 1996 "Indy Ram" Dodge 1500

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Hello fellow Mopar fans. I have learned that the Front/Pass spindle on my 96 Indy Ram needs to be replaced. Tracking down this part, at least new, is turning out to be surprisingly difficult. I'm having trouble verifying the part number. Weirdly, it's not available on the usual sources, LMC, Summit, etc. And the other odd thing, is the Mopar parts sites say my VIN is invalid.

Is anyone here a parts-looking-up expert? My search would go a lot easier if I knew for sure what the part number is. I think this may be it, but shouldn't there be a "left" and "right" version?

3815A621 - Spindle Detroit Mopar Parts

Here's my truck: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 "Indy Ram"

Thanks for any leads!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is it 2 or 4wd?

You mean the knuckle, correct?

Found the p/n's for 4x2.

(right) 52037680
(left) 52037681

For a '96, most, if not all, parts are discontinued from Mopar long, long ago.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thank you. Up here in north central WI, we see very few trucks that arent 4wd so I'm not up on it, my 2wd '96 Dakota is a rare exception, lol.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Thanks for that part number, I think that's the one. Wow, expensive! There are some used ones out there, may go that route.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've seen knuckles for some that are very expensive, especially aluminum ones. At work it's almost always a used one we use. Most we see are bent after they slide into a curb on the ice.

Used hard parts are either good or they're not, no in between like an engine or trans for example.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
They are about $1,100 new -- and hard to find. I'm taking the truck to another local shop to get a 2nd opinion. I don't want to be buying parts willy-nilly. I'm confused as to whether I need the full knuckle assembly, or just the spindle, which is a lot cheaper.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Maybe we're not talking about the same part?
On a 2wd, the knuckle and spindle are one part, same as on, for example, an F/M/J body.

A pre '94 4x4 has a knuckle and a spindle that bolts to the knuckle. '94 and up use an integrated hub/bearing assy bolted to the knuckle.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Maybe we're not talking about the same part?
On a 2wd, the knuckle and spindle are one part, same as on, for example, an F/M/J body.

A pre '94 4x4 has a knuckle and a spindle that bolts to the knuckle. '94 and up use an integrated hub/bearing assy bolted to the knuckle.
No, I think we are... This is the lowest price I could find:

52037680 - Genuine Mopar Knuckle

That being said, I'm going back to a trusted, local mechanic to double check!

Aspen500

Reaction score
OK, just wanted to make sure :)

I'd be curious about what, if anything, is wrong with it that someone said it needs replaced.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Trusted mechanic got back to me. Found two things causing my new rattles. Tie-rod ends are end of life.... And yes, Pep Boys screwed up the Knuckle. They ordered a helicoil kit. I love/hate those things. I screwed up a few aluminum intakes in my youth - helicoil to the rescue! I'm in "we will see" mode right now, but like I said, "trusted mechanic."

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Turns out one of the large studs on the knuckle was stripped. New stud, helicoil.... all good. I'm told my upper control arms should be next on my list. Thank you all for the advice.

Back