Hey there fellas! Couple of 318 timing questions.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have been doing all of that "old guy stuff" since I was 16, oh poop, that was 24 years ago.............I will make sure my kids can do those things.

Same here except that was 35 years ago! Man, where does the time go..............................
When I worked at the VW/Audi dealer (worst 5 1/2 years of my life) from Nov 2007 to May 31 2013, I always had to do the air cooled Beetle's and micro busses that came in and there were quite a few. Only one in the shop that new what points were, how to adjust a carb or do front drum brakes and I was fine with that. Nice change from figuring out electronic gremlins in a new Audi, lol.

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Hey 8v, you didnt mention if you were running high octane fuel or regular. Friend got a beautiful 69 GTO and popped the crown on three pistons running regular... be careful.. :)

Engine has had 87 octane its entire life. I'm not looking for wild extreme timing, this dizzy just came in a kit when i did the ELB/ESA delete.

I have been doing all of that "old guy stuff" since I was 16, oh poop, that was 24 years ago.............I will make sure my kids can do those things.

I'm 25 and learned points at 20 in the year 2010. The marine industry up here is %85 of the stuff is still running a 60's carburetor.. and some of those are even still on points dizzies!

Same here except that was 35 years ago! Man, where does the time go..............................
When I worked at the VW/Audi dealer (worst 5 1/2 years of my life) from Nov 2007 to May 31 2013, I always had to do the air cooled Beetle's and micro busses that came in and there were quite a few. Only one in the shop that new what points were, how to adjust a carb or do front drum brakes and I was fine with that. Nice change from figuring out electronic gremlins in a new Audi, lol.

I have a 62 Galaxie with 4 wheel drums, as well as a 67 Cougar with 4 wheel drums as well! :) What a treat. lol

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Except for the couple of guys I know that still know the old stuff all we have here now are "parts replacers"

That's where I got disillusioned about becoming a "technician". A part of the degree program has a "shop floor" segment, which is just 40 hour weeks live work on customer cars, our labor is free, they just pay for parts. It was graded 100% on timeclock management, and 0% on work completed/ability. If you showed up on time, did nothing, left on time and screwed up majorly. Every. Single. Thing. You got a A. If you showed up for just one hour one day, and converted a car into a perpetual motion machine, fail.

That, and no place was hiring..

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm lucky to work at a NON flat rate shop and we stress quality over quantity. I mean, still want to get as many cars done as possible BUT doing everything in our power to never have a comebacks (and it works!).

Question. Are you running EGR? Without EGR you may get part throttle/light load spark knock if the carb and ignition are calibrated for EGR. Contrary to popular belief, EGR doesn't reduce power. It's not functional at lower vacuum such as WOT or heavy loads anyways. Reason I ask is, on my old truck (81 D150) I had ended up replacing the vacuum amplifier, vacuum solenoid and EGR valve to make it functional again (didn't work when I bought the truck) to eliminate spark knock. Noticed no other difference except no ping, ping, ping, ping.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
No I am not running an EGR. The aftermarket Eddie I got was EGR-less.

How else does it prevent pre-ignition if it is not in fact reducing power? It is doing something to make the charge ignite later, thus TECHNICALLY reducing timing? Might as well just dial the timing back if that were the case no?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
What's the condition of the engine, miles?
Any blue smoke upon start-up?

I had an engine with bad valve seals that pinged like a SOB. Oil burns hotter than gas.

Aspen500

Reaction score

I had an engine with bad valve seals that pinged like a SOB. Oil burns hotter than gas.

I second that! Oil getting past the valve seals or rings will cause spark knock.

The EGR dilutes the mixture somewhat, causing it to not burn as hot. Since it only works at part throttle cruise, when you get into it more than 3/4 throttle or so the valve is closed. The actual reason for EGR is to reduce NOx which is also caused by high combustion temps. That way you can run more ignition advance which equals more power and better mpg. Also you can run a leaner mixture at cruise for better mpg. Once you get to a certain throttle opening the vacuum signal is below what's needed to open the valve (generally 5-8" depending on make) AND the power enrichment circuit comes into play at wider throttle opening and load so the richer mixture will usually prevent any spark knock. Hard to explain it in a few words of text without typing a book!

8v-of-fury

Reaction score

Engine has 133k Miles. Shes entirely original. Last year was the first time it had been opened up i'd say, she was a sludge monster! the lifter valley and under the rocker covers was sludged up pretty badly.

This is my grandmothers car (she is 82) and it has been an in-town slave since 1997 when my grandfather passed away. Occasionally 15-20 minute highway jaunt maybe every few years. The last year has seen only me driving it, as its a bit cumbersome and more of a liability for her to have an accident in.. plus she just doesn't drive as much anymore, so the cookie cutter grand am fits that bill. This year has seen me driving it every three weeks for a week straight when I fly home to Ontario from working in Alberta. It is my "rental" when I am home. I fly in sunday mornings at 5am and get a taxi to her place from the airport to pick up my ride :) I absolutely love driving it, its a blast.

When i did the intake last year, i scraped out as much shit as I could from the top end and gave it a soak down with some engine cleaner and diesel to clean out some SNARF. Changed the oil and called it a day. It never had any oiling issues, there is no typical knock on startup of the higher mileage engines before they get oil pressure. So I'd say shes actually pretty tight in there. It leaks oil from the timing cover seal, and the rear intake to block seal I didn't get sealed right.. but doesnt ever burn any.

It does not smoke whatsoever. Driving behind it isn't your typical carburetor smell either with the overly rich gas fumes from the tail pipe.

Back